Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What av software do you use?

I use norton's AV 2002. Good firewall, catches all virii through email.

I use Agnitum Outpost for firewall.

i use norton 2002 packaged with norton system works..i highly recomend this too ..i like the setup of norton compared to macafee, and system works has some convient tools as well.

Thumbs up what AV is good ?

Hi,

Always use a product that is OPSEC complaint. Because some softwares are not designed, even if they say its for the Windows.

Check www.opsec.com

Then decide the AV, as you please. McAffee dat files are not very best in quality. So on my opinion I'll choose Norton or Trend Micro.

When you install Norton your machine will get slow. But not Trend Micro products.

Trend Micro issues pattern files on reguler basis and if your AV is up-to-date, you are well protected from viruses. On the Other hand Norton takes time to release pattern files and less effective in cleaning the viruses. (ex: nimda, sircam, klez etc

But Norton cleans the old virusese very easily than the Trend Micro.

Choose for your requirment. I personnaly a tester and knows what are the plus and minus points in both Noorton and Trend Micro.
    I recommand Trend Micro for Internet gateways and mail scanning. Its the best.

Ruwan
    Rat Master
    SL

I personally use Norton 2002 and FreeBSD, i think using a combination is far beter and also safer.

Norton AV 2002 with system works. Easy to use constant update, many features. I use Sygate for a Firewall. I used to use Mcaffee, but it would cause the computer to freeze at the Windows splash screen for thirty minutes before it would a llow the computert to finish booting.
    Shelby Spencer

Grisoft AVG. It's free and it works. We have it on both our machines and set to update every two weeks. It, along with Tiny Personal Firewall (also free), is as close to ideal as you'll find.

Im not sure if norton fixed it yet but with 2002 i belive reading there is a vulnerability. If you place a null byte between actual source of program and start of virus norton will not scan past null byte. thus not notifying you that you are infected
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

I have tested a lot of AV:

- Norton: good protection but too heavy and low(NAV 2002). Besides it doesn't always agree to be uninstalled (I have been big problems with old versions, now I have only to search it files during 2 weeks).
    - McAffee: A good protection and less heavy than Norton but the update system is not really good.
    - IPE Antivirus: I'm not sure of the name, it was an old free AV. The only thing to sayis that it has decided me to not use free AV.
    - F-prot: I tried only an old version but it was very fast. The virus definition list was not able to be compared with Norton or McAffee but things can have changed in 3 years.
    - Kaspersky AV: A very good AV to detect virii (it is the goal after all) but 2 problems. it is too heavy (it's obsessional with me!) and it make my XP system crash.

In conclusion, I think the best AV is: brain! With logic you can avoid a lot of virii, I don't use AV 50% of the time because I'm always searching a really good AV (I have read in AO that AVG is very good so I will try it). Neverthless, if the speed is not really important for you and that you want to be well protected, use Kaspersky. It's my advice.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I use Trend Micro PC-cillin - it updates regularly and picks up alot. The only drawback is a v. annoying pop up box every time it checks soemthing - right in the middle of your desktop. Oh well can't have everything