firewall for a poop like computer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firewall for a poop like computer

Banned

firewall for a poop like computer

I have a pretty bad computer, I am going to buy a new one, though I may still use this one for a server or something like that. I was wondering does anybody know any good firewalls that are low on system resources? Don't say anything like openbsd or start talking about Dos attacks and packet filtering. Just under normal conditions, any good, low on system resources firewalls out there?

OS?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    You know you want to pick up a lindows computer from Walmart. You know you want to. As far as firewalls. Check out Tiny Personal Firewall. I think that may be what you are looking for.

OpenBSD-based firewalls are low on system resources

I have had a good experience with a program called Freesco. It fits on a floppy disk, and is easily configured.

Don't know if it is still possible or not, but I had a good friend of mine who had a linux box running iptables that booted off of a floppy...and it worked pretty well...

neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    K, thanks for the ideas. I'll try tiny. And I hate LINDOWS!! I tried it, it is bad at emulating windows and lack linux functionality!! BTW I am running win95. Thanks guys, if you have any more suggestion plz post them.

Re: firewall for a poop like computer

Check out www.sygate.com. Sygate personal firewall is actually quite good. I
    fully recommend it. It works on Linux and Windows 98/Me/2000/NT/XP

--------------------------
    Lumina

Hardware firewall, if you have a wideband connection...i.e. just a simple $75 Linksys router should do the trick.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Banned
    I don't want a hardware firewall yet. I may get it later. I know it doesn't really affect the system resources but right now I don't need it.