Peer Pressures a B!

View Poll Results: What do I choose?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Linux on second-hand PII-class laptop

9 81.82%
  • OS X on iBook

2 18.18%
  • Remote X on a PI-class laptop (11 mbit is enough to do remote X)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peer Pressures a B!

Banned

Peer Pressures a B!

Is anyone as curious as I am about this Lindows operating system. I have to admit I'm put off by the idea of Walmarts tie with Lindows.com. Lindows claims the systems built by Microtel are custom to the Lindows operating system which is complete. However, is not compatible with all hardware. Sounds like a similiar problem linux has. Again a company like Walmart selling an operating system that has never been seen? how about the estimated installation time. Lindows is supposedly able to install on any machine in just under 5 minutes.

Heres my problem: Should I blow the $299.00 on the walmart.com computer, just to see what all the fuss is about? I mean if worse comes to worse I can always install another operating system on it, and give it to one of my brothers or something. Well like they say... peer Pressures is a b! Lay it on my guys. What should I do?

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Any time anyone i know buys a computer they usually bring it to me to get rid of all the OEM junk. I usually will format and reinstall all the drivers by hand and install a clean system on their for them. I would try the lindows out for a bit, couldn't hurt. But if you have any problems, put something else on it. For 299, you can't really beat it for a computer system. (although I wonder about the quality of the hardware, we all remember NEC right? =\ )

Banned
    True X, That is the only thing. I want something with quality, loading another os & finding drivers is easy.

you dont have to buy a wal-mart computer to try lindows... just go to lindows.com. It will cost you $99 to try it out however. I have not tried it but I would like to... when it's more complete and you don't have to log in as root.
    A squirrel with no nuts will soon starve.

Banned
    Geric, why wast $99. on just the OS, when I can buy the system, and get some use out of it?

Banned
    Don't do it. I have tried lindows. And so far the windows emulation is poor. It didn't run office for me. And when I tried using the linux part of it, well, it lacks linux functionality. Lindows is the incest child of windows and linux. Don't buy it!

well you can buy a system if you want/need to... thats up to you and your pocket... I was just letting you know that you can get Lindows without buying a Wal-mart computer. Just letting you know.

Banned
    Yeah, but why get lindows? I have heard some bad reviews about it. Why not just get a new computer and then partition? Plus, if those clones are that cheap they can't possibly be good can they?

Well for the price it sounds good ($299).If I was you I would get the system and If you did'nt like it I would install another distro like mandrake or red hat.After I got the system going I would install WINE or something else like that to get the windows progz to run....But like I said before you can't bet the price.

Later
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

Just b/c the system is cheap does not mean it sucks. Wal-mart can deal in large quantities and they don't have to charge you $200 (or whatever it cost distributors) to pay for M$ crap. I've never tried one so I don't know... but it does not mean it's crap... besides It's Wal-mart so I'm sure you can take it back Why try it? just to see how it works... not today though