Is a 56k v.90 PCI modem of any use at all if you have a broadband connection?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a 56k v.90 PCI modem of any use at all if you have a broadband connection?

Banned

Is a 56k v.90 PCI modem of any use at all if you have a broadband connection?

? Thanks

The Iceman Cometh
    Not really, though, I've had my connection go down once and it was useful to be able to access the 'net with a modem...

AJ

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    not really, but its good for backup in case your broadband goes down.
    x

Speed Installation Quartly Fee
    ADSL 512k/256k LS 125.64 270

but its good for backup in case your broadband goes down.
    i wish i could afford to say that
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

SolidPez, back after a long ass time, just as long as you dont post that crap like you used to Ill be happy. Yes a 56k modem is very useful. 95% of internet users don't need more than a 56k modem due to the fact that most websites were designed towards those users, and most programs that you download arent much bigger than 10 mb. This might explain why the demand for broadband isnt nearly as great as what some expected and big businesses are selling because they are losing money fast. Of course if you ask me broadbands best business is done with small time websites and small businesses looking for high speed at a fraction of the cost of a T1.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

well you can use it if you dont want anyone to call. Just dial up the internet and leave it. So when anybody calls they will get call waiting or busy.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Originally posted here by (V)/\><
    Speed Installation Quartly Fee
    ADSL 512k/256k LS 125.64 270

i wish i could afford to say that

Huh!?!

Well, i use mine for backup and for the fax server as well. I never liked those fax services over internet.
    Tudo que rela relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    /me hates his winmodem....look they are alright but broadband is sooo nice i mean u can upload backups in a sinch of time !!!.....it is woderful thing broad band it.../me wants broadband!!!!
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Yeah, as most of the posts are saying, for backup it's good. Depends also what kind of connection, too. If you have a broadband or dsl connection, maybe helpful to have some hrs per mnth aside; but, especially with Satellite connections (can have 1 or 2), the one ways typically from what I've seen come with a dialup account for specific uploading purposes..so, depends what you want..pick your poison. : ) But, with the way technology is pressing anyways, who knows what it will be like in 5-10 years. Maybe even broadband would be the "56K of dialup" : )

Ba-Pef..
    \"Desperation rears its ugly head. Give me the will to fight. Indecision makes the final call. Do you know what\'s right?\" -PROPAIN