how to survive a heart attack alone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to survive a heart attack alone

how to survive a heart attack alone

i got this in an email a while ago and i don't know if there is any truth to it because i never followed it up. i copied and pasted from the email, just in case.
    by the way, i think chain mail is the work of satans minions.

>Subject: Fwd: How to survive a heart attack alone
    >Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 16:25:18 +0000
    >
    >Subject: HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK ALONE
    >>>
    >>>If everyone who gets this sends it to 10 people, you can bet that
    >>>we'll save at least one life. Let's say it's 6:15 p.m. and you're
    >>>driving home (alone of course), after an unusually hard day on the
    >>>job. You're really tired, upset and frustrated.
    >>>
    >>>Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that
    >>>starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are
    >>>only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home;
    >>>unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that
    >>>far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the guy that
    >>>taught the course neglected to tell you how to perform it on
    >>>yourself. Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart
    >>>attack, this article seemed to be in order.
    >>>
    >>>Without help, the person whose heart stops beating properly and
    >>>who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before
    >>>losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves
    >>>by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should
    >>>be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and
    >>>prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest,
    >>>and a cough must be repeated about every 2 seconds without let up
    >>>until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating
    >>>normally
    >>again.
    >>>
    >>>Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements
    >>>squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing
    >>>pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this
    >>>way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital. Tell as many
    >>>other people as possible about this, it could save their lives!
    >>>
    >>> >From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s
    >>>newsletter AND THE BEAT GOES ON ... (reprint from The Mended
    >>>Hearts, Inc.
    >>publication,
    >>>Heart Response)
    >>>
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

TAKE WARNING!! Do not try to set up Linux without some help

Seriously...Sounds like a good idea.!!

by the way, i think chain mail is the work of satans minions.
    if that is the case ...why are you passing this letter on to us?
    just wondering...........

AntiOnline Newbie
    A few suggestions, (V)/\><

1. Never pass on any warning received in an email "just in case."

2. Bookmark some locations on the web where you can readily look up things which you think might be true, but could very well be hoaxes. Here are a few you might include on that list:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HoaxBustersHome.html

http://hoaxinfo.com/vhoax.htm

http://www.urbanlegends.com/

And, course, the websites of antivirus makers, such as Symantec and McAfee.

3. Use a search engine, such as Google, to look up specific phrases from the email. In this case, a Google search would have quickly lead you to articles which said that Rochester General Hospital has denied any such article and that it has also been denounced by the American Red Cross, The American Heart Association and the Mended Hearts Organization.

4. Before cutting and pasting articles, emails or other things into threads here, it might also be a good idea to read this tutorial posted by one of our members:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231259

well yeah i dont understand why the overall is negative, it's a nice post

if that is the case ...why are you passing this letter on to us?
    just wondering...........
    i see your point, although i must illustrate that i posted it in a forum, and didn't send it on to everyones email, which would be lame even for a newbie. and here id like to point out that "yes, i am a newbie to this site," and because of this site status, im allowed to make a few meaningless, unresearched or just crap posts. i posted this under the impression that it contained usefull information, however Airhead did some research and proved it to contain misinformation. perhaps it should be removed from the forum. perhaps the original post persuaded a few people to go research the matter further on their own. would that have been a bad thing? i posted the original thread in the early hours of the morning, when i was checking my mail before bed. i found the article in my email and thought that if i was to have a heart attack _right then_ i probably would have died, because everyone for about twenty miles was probably in bed, asleep. as a human being, i have the ability to empathise with others, internet users in particular on this topic, and so i decided to post the article. just like that.
    in my antipoint center i found:
    why post this here?
    if the last few lines haven't answered that question, then perhaps this will:
    AntiOnline's General Chit Chat Talk about whatever's on your mind, as long as it doesn't fit in another forum.
    ...and it was on my mind + it wouldn't have fit in as well in the Product/Book Reviews forum.

a few replies, Airhead
    Never pass on any warning received in an email "just in case."
    1. it wasn't a warning, it was informative, or so i thought. you can take the pesimistic view on referals, i'm going to choose to be optimistic. you obviously searched around to find information relating to this article. i just wonder why you didn't post anything related to the subject matter of the article, because it is pretty important, isn't it? i must apologise if i made it seem like a warning, or did you just interprit it that way?
    Before cutting and pasting articles, emails or other things into threads here, it might also be a good idea to read this tutorial posted by one of our members:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthrea...threadid=231259
    2. i actually already had read that article, before i made the post. and the original email that i received did not have any copyright or licencing information attached. so if it is copyright, i didn't do anything illegal, it was the person who removed this crucial information before they forwarded it.
    Bookmark some locations on the web where you can readily look up things which you think might be true, but could very well be hoaxes.
    3. i appreciate those links, thanks. never occured to me to search for such sites.

well yeah i dont understand why the overall is negative, it's a nice post
    ...probably because the post turned out to be a load of crap. or is it a LOAD? any truth to it at all? i didn't check. no one else posted relevant info, except for tips, targeted at me, about internet etiqute.

</max>
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

I don't know if it is true are not but I can say one thing and that is if I am having a heart attack. The last thing that would be on my mind is to do that. The first thing I thank I would try is to get to people. I would hope someone could help or would. But to tell the truth we can say we will do this and that but when it come to dieing I could only thank about my family and prayed to God the whole time. I can tell you that you will thank of some of the most messed up things when you thank you are going to die.

zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]

TechieChick
    Sorry, but it is a hoax as Airhead already suggested.

Check it here.

well if you were actually having a heart attack zuriel you'd definately be think some heavy things, and probably not able to think them through fast enough. which is probably just a natural defence mechanism or something. because the more freaked out and scared you get, (im obviously talking about raw emotional fear) the more adrenaline is released, and that stuff _definately_ makes your heart go.

go on someone, do a search and post back here that it won't start your heart when secreted into the blood stream and that it absolutely has to be injected straight in through the ribcage.

</max>

TechieChick
    Um...I did post above that it's a hoax.

I even included a link.