Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats So bad about MS?

Whats So bad about MS?

Well if you dont already know, then check out this great article on one of my favorite websites.

http://www.****microsoft.com/content/whatsbad.shtml
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

It's disgusting how Microsoft portrays itself as the supreme innovator when just about all the technology that it has was copied off of others' previous work. Think about all the major innovations in CS technology and then count how many of them were developed by Microsoft. I count zero. This is because Microsoft admittedly does not enter a market until the potential amount of money to be made in it is fairly large.
    Amen to that! :P

Sure microsoft may have stolen a few things, but it isn't like they didn't use them to improve computer use for all users. All in all, MS isn't that bad. Why do people bash it? Because they are jealous that microsoft is making the big bucks. Well, too bad that they didn't think of it before, but they didn't, so instead they focus all their time on putting MS down. Sure, MS has bugs, but most software does, and I have seen many exploits for linux systems as well. MS provides good software (for the most part) and user friendly interfaces.

As part of the above post and Thanks Preacher here is one of the related links off what is written see all the techlology MS did not invet but bought. http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/catalog/
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

So what? They did buy it right? It is legal? Yeah, so then what? Linux is just a knock off of unix but nobody cares about that, but if MS uses GUIs from xerox, then ooooooo, they're baaaaaaaaaad. Are you telling me that no other company has bought technology? Cause then you can't just bash MS.

Eh... I have to admit, M$ has some brilliant marketing folk (much like Clinton had some rather brilliant campaign managers). In any case, Bill originally got lucky... IBM laid something in his lap and, well, he made the most of it - he's not stupid... not at all. I just think he's rather on the unscrupulous side, myself.

Anyone remember when MSIE used to recommend that you could "free up disk space by removing Netscape Navigator?" And, at one point, IE would even silently disable or break Netscape... anyone else tries something like that and they get fried - but you can't argue with Bill, I guess.

...and you have to admit, the whole practice of "if you can't beat 'em, but 'em" is, well... anyone remember when MS tried to buy Quicken, only to say "well, we're happy to sell off MS Money" (to avoid the monopoly)? What about Visio? Suffered the old IBM problem... used to be a good product until M$ got a hold of it.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that people can make a killing out of taking advantage of others... but when you've got people over a barrel, well... *smirk*

I still like the old adage: "The only thing that Microsoft has done for the computing industry is to teach end users that computers are inherantly unreliable."

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    So what? They did buy it right? It is legal? Yeah, so then what? Linux is just a knock off of unix but nobody cares about that, but if MS uses GUIs from xerox, then ooooooo, they're baaaaaaaaaad. Are you telling me that no other company has bought technology? Cause then you can't just bash MS.
    Actually, Linux is UN*X... it is a unix much like Sun, HP, IBM and many others make their own versions of UNIX. The point is, MS supposively "invents" technology that's clearly not their own - in the UN*X world, it's commonly known, even bragged about that most of these systems are just branches off the old AT&T Labs source... the common BSD systems being branches from the 4.3reno branch, IIRC.

M$ has just become a superpower that's terribly afraid of any fair competition. Anyone gets remotely close to them or starts to surpass them and they either end up buying them or finding a way to sue them...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Sure microsoft may have stolen a few things, but it isn't like they didn't use them to improve computer use for all users. All in all, MS isn't that bad. Why do people bash it? Because they are jealous that microsoft is making the big bucks. Well, too bad that they didn't think of it before, but they didn't, so instead they focus all their time on putting MS down. Sure, MS has bugs, but most software does, and I have seen many exploits for linux systems as well. MS provides good software (for the most part) and user friendly interfaces.
    well as for microsoft being the root of jealousy, i dont htink os but it is a great product....for desktops as for servers they are doing well....linux doesnt suck as much resources and so on...personally i like windows...ofcourse linux is much!!! more stable
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

MS has done it's share of awful things.
    But they are also responsible, through great marketing, for a LOT of the general populaces awareness of PC's.
    Once again, good and bad thing.
    All in all, My grandmother can email me because MS has made it so simple for her to use their software, and so accessible.
    \"The fifth horseman of the apocalyse?\"
    \"Yeah, he left the group before they hit it big.\"
    T. Pratchett

Banned
    hmmmm i was just making strange connection in my mind......... microsoft buys or sues everyone that come anywhere near compatition to then......... hmmmm mozilla......... netscape pissed M$ off........ mozilla is directly dreived from netscape and is damn good, and a strond competitor for IE (i think)...... so sence its opensource and GNU (i belive, but i may be wrong. its the question i want an answer to, not the spasicics) and nobody officialy OWNS it and its free and all that good stuff...........

can M$ sue something like that, or buy it up......... i know that GNU wont let them use any of the code but........ how does M$ compete with something that dosnt exist?

even assume that they DO find something to sue about, WHO do they sue and how do they go about stopping it...... would they have to go be like the MPAA with DeCSS?

hmmmmmm i wonder? any answers?

You people wouldn't try to get rid of the competition if your billion+ dollar business was in danger of being subverted? Wouldn't you do everything in your power to stop that company and to keep yours safe? You would, so don't bash MS. They make good products, shure linux takes less resources, but *nix systems are for computer proficient people. A big reason MS is so big is because is makes products for the computer illiterate. They provided me with win95, and so I didn't have to learn about comps from DOS, which would have been difficult and may have forced me to buy a book or two. MS makes products which are easy to use, and so they are popular as everybody likes ease of use. And linux is A nix, not THE *nix. People, MS makes very complicated software, of course it is going to have bugs, it comes with the territory.