Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: God and the Internet

God and the Internet

Now, before i explain this idea, please take into consideration that this is just a theory that was presented to me by another person. this is not my personal belief, just someone elses theory. i have however noticed that most threads that have any opinion in them lately have been getting negs, but this is not for flame war purposes....

simple chemicals come together to form to form protiens. simple molecules come together to form cells. in our world simple organisms come together to form larger more complex beings. is it possible then that God is not existing yet. Is it possible that God is going to be the connective consciousness when a large group of people are joined together possibly via the interneet? the connecting of smaller organisms to make a more complex whole....
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Whoa that makes sense. But according to Christians or whatever religion, who would have created us if we created god?
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

ACK!!!! Infinite Loop!
    Just remember: Abraham Lincoln didn\'t die in vain. He died in Washington D.C.

Reading only the title I have been the idea (laughing) that God will be soon the only "guy" without his personal web-page or his ICQ account )

After I read really your post I can say that human being are already an example of this (like insect societies) and there are no reasons to consider Internet with another point of view.
    The only problem is that we don't perceive conscious in it.

I'm sorry for the strange syntaxe (and for the spelling also)
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Lightbulb Re: God and the Internet

This is a rather interesting post. I am the webmaster for a spiritual site, that and I am
    a certified reverend of the States of Louisiana and Ohio, but that really does not matter
    except for technicalities etc.

If you want to get into technicalities based off of how our earth was created and life came
    to be, weather you are a darwinian thinker (i.e evolution) or a creationist (i.e some being
    created the world), everybody always poses that question to themselves one time or another
    in their life span.

The currency of the internet is something quite valuable yet someting irrevocably intangible.
    You cannot take the information you learn on the net and transform that knowledge into a
    piece of paper that is literally worth the (choosing American here because I am) currency.
    Yet again this poses a question of if the collective consciousness of internet users, web surfers, etc does exist. This also brings up various topics regarding AI (artificial intelligence)
    etc.

We programmers can come up with only so much AI through complex algorithms etc, but
    we have come up with code that writes code that writes code which writes more code.
    So in theory if you have self writing code, isn't that like synapsis of the brain how they grow
    then those make new synapsis which grow to make more making us more and more intelligent. So with all the people out there adding their bits of knowledge and wisdom and
    expertise, also with "everybody and their mother" relying on computers and the internet
    there poses no question in my head weather or not you could consider 'god' to be the
    collective consciousness of the internet.

Going on that you could safely assume that god is us and we are god. I am not a religious
    person, but the interests in theology and mythology etc is why I persued my reverendship.
    Each person that uses the internet or intertwines themselves with this collective consciousness becomes a facet of 'god.' I base this off of some of Rumi's techings and also
    some of Neitzsche's philsophies.

NOTE: This is not meant to be an attack on anyone's faith etc. This is just a mere musing
    on the subject.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Lumina
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

sounds interesting to me, though I would hestate to call the new life "god", maybe just a new hive mind?
    - Jimmy Mac

Replicants are like any technology, if there not a hazard, its not my problem....

i think that the idea is that this larger social consciousness would soon include all the earth, thus making no greater being... therefore it would become basically a god.

as for the creation question.... i think the answer to this question still remains infinite... i mean, there could be the darwinian solution (thus no creator), or an alien race more advanced then ours, or a seperate god from the one that we created. but really this is a moot point in the respect that the idea of the theory is simple to complex. obviously God (either the god or a god) would have to be created of many simple parts to make the ultimate whole. in this line of thinking, we would all be the simple parts, inadequate of being gods on our own, all parts being incapable and even incomplete, but when strung together, these parts make a larger better being.

the only thing i dislike about the idea is i have met many of the people that make up the internet... if this theory were true, the "God" would be made up of a bunch of idiots....
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Banned
    yes, theyd be idiots but look at us, another bunch of idiots, geeks when were out of our cyber turf and in the real world, and geeks to the onlooker looking in, but to us were a thriving community. this group on here on some level has an impact on this evolving godform. CERT would be the doctors, RFCs are the genetic code........ wow you can really read into this alot just looking at how humans work and how the internet works......... suposedly he created us in his own image....... therefor sence we evolve why cant we evolve to a final god stage, and if we can write self writing and self recoding and self evolving code, well have a perfect entity. give it the environment it needs.......... and who knows, one day well be looking back at the matrix and saying "man, if only wed known......"

wow, thats a cool theory man, i think im gonna play with it a bit, you mind?

I enjoy all the thoughts here and other threads and any input I have gotten plus or minus is that input. Actually when you look at things there is a long standing belief in any system that we are all connect. Even with the human DNA map we are finding this out to be fact that there is little in our DNA that seperates any one peoson on the face of the planet. Yet this was taught for thousands of years. So to put the Net into context it then would serve as a common means for the human race to continue to expand how we are all related and interact. By devine intervention or by natural slection of the fittest everything is connected. Life it's self is an energy our body functions measured countless ways, I suppose the answer will arrive in one's last breath, energy is disipated but even quatium phyics can show the state of nothing has purpose.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

loggoff... it is an interessting idea. you can play with it all you want, but don't get too sucked in by the idea. although it is neat, it is not infallable yet. (i don't want to see you running off and forming a cult... lol) i just thought it was a neat proposal that a friend brought to me... gives you something to thnk about whether it be true or just a hypothetical... good for thought stimulation.

Propoganda