Thread: Another example of AOL taking over...

The Iceman Cometh

Another example of AOL taking over...

I was reading a recent issue of Info World magazine and found a very interesting note regarding AOL. Apparently, the current release of Winamp (2.80) will add free.aol.com to the Trusted-Zone on Internet Explorer. Though this (supposedly) has neglible effects, it does show that AOL can take over your computer even if you've never installed AOL. NOTE: This only occurs if you install Winamp with the "AOL Icon" option selected, which is selected by default.

For a softcopy of the article in question, click here and scroll down to "Security concerns".

AJ

Banned
    ugh....Steve Case does it again.... i bet Steve Case is really Bill Gates.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    lol..interesting concept.../me goes of to ponder that
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    AOL strikes again.....

I wonder what else they have up their sleeves?

Banned
    you know, i once made a deck of cards using AOL floppys. it was prety hard to shuffle tho

haha that is not true that is just an exaple of advertisment. Winamp is just making some changes to there program so that they can keep in the biz most likely. I dont see how AOL could do anything the the biz. The only way ppl use AOL any way is because of the chat ap in the subscibtion. Even though you can get it free off there web page!
    Join the White Hat universe!

The fact alone that AOHell modifies your TCP/IP and your winsocks on a windows machine should be viewed as a virus in and of itself. Still funny that they are taking it one step further and pushing it as a "Trusted-Zone".

[EDIT] When it modifies yer TCP/IP and winsocks, and then you move on to another ISP and try to use them but can't because your stuff is no good for a standard connection any more, you've been violated
    [/EDIT]
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"