Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GIF vs JPEG

before I was using .jpg for my avatars but I'm using .gif now because I work on another pictures to create my avatars that are usually in gif and I lose some colors when I save in jpg.

I have also noticed that with the avatar standard size and style, my avatars were smaller in gif than in jpg.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

gifs arent used for detail and photo quality.
    I never said they were

you loose image quality thebetter the compression you get in jpeg. simple fact. and i think that anyone on here that knows anything about computer imaging will back me up on that
    Well no ****! Its always an inverse proportion when it comes to quality vs. compression.

jpegs only use is for images that it dosnt matter if detail gets lost...... like over the internet........ the only reason that jpegs are the photo standard is cause theres no better alternitive for compression
    What a crock of ****...Im gonna give ya a few links to some nice art in .jpg format, you be the judge if detail is lost. The reason JPEGs are a photo standard is because its one of the best formats.

http://www.deviantart.com/view.php?id=195985
    http://www.deviantart.com/view.php?id=221140
    http://www.deviantart.com/view.php?id=233170

Just to name a few that I got out of my DA favs real quick.

Banned
    **** it, i give up! last time i argue with a 20 post newbie....... cripes, why do i bother trying to be helpful?

hurt-conveyer > JPGs aren't neccesarily always crap-looking. Calm down buddy.

Thanks a lot peoples, all of that is brilliantly informative...BUT! [isn't there always a but?] from what I've read [maybe I'm being really obtuse here?] it seems like, given what my avatar looks like, .gif would be better suited right? Or at least not detrimental. But I found that a) .gif looked worse [but then maybe I'm just prejudiced because I tend to use .jpg?] and b) the .jpg wasn't supported on this site...why? WHY?! Any further ponderings on this one? And I did download that selection ammo, and I checked the wicked art links..and maybe I'm being stupidly fussy, but then I did have another .jpg to experiment with that *did* load on the site, so why is it just this one that won't? When the .gif will? *sob*

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Lady haxor:
    What program are you using to save in .gif? MSPaint sucks at it because it only uses the standard 256 color pallet. Use another program like Paint Shop Pro (many others will do the same) that creates a custom 256 color pallet from your image when saving as a gif. If you don't have access to such a paint program, you could always send me the jpeg version I could convert it for you...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Originally posted here by jethro
    hurt-conveyer > JPGs aren't neccesarily always crap-looking. Calm down buddy.
    thats exactly what my argument was

Originally posted here by LoggOff
    **** it, i give up! last time i argue with a 20 post newbie....... cripes, why do i bother trying to be helpful?
    1) I am a n00b to the AO forums but not to gfx
    2) Thx for that response, obviously you're one who can't admit that you are wrong

Gif is a type of a format only good for animations. Yet it can make nice looking graphics but yet is very degrated looking from the classy JPEG. JPEG in my opinion and in most every one will agree is the best format!
    Join the White Hat universe!

Originally posted here by DefCon11
    Gif is a type of a format only good for animations. Yet it can make nice looking graphics but yet is very degrated looking from the classy JPEG. JPEG in my opinion and in most every one will agree is the best format!
    Thats a statement I can agree with.

f0r the love of God, i think that this thread is dead, dam, how can i unsubscribe from this dam thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    [gloworange]Website
    File Server

[/gloworange]