Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Expert: Asteroid May Hit Earth but Don't Panic"

"Expert: Asteroid May Hit Earth but Don't Panic"

I don't know if this has come up in any of the forums but I thought it might be good to hear the latest buzz that's out there in the universe.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._asteroid_dc_1
    Viper

I wonder how we would all react as a human race if it was relased that it was certanly going to hit earth...

Do you think that society would fall apart under the idea that whatever they do doesn't matter? Or do you think we would be civil and act accordingly? Something like that would really test how far we as a society have come...hmm.
    The real question is not whether peace can be obtained, but whether or not mankind is mature enough for it...

" It would enter the atmosphere at nearly 64,000 mph and strike with the explosive energy of 1.2 million megatons of TNT"

"More than 100 follow-up observations allowed astronomers to calculate six other potential impact dates — in 2044, 2053, 2060 and 2078. "

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...d_threat_2&e=5

I think we better get some nukes out their real quick, we should still have a couple of 200 Megaton bombs left over from the cold war. that could vaporize a 1.5 mile rock with ease.

Im gonna go watch armageddon again
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I wonder how we would all react as a human race if it was relased that it was certanly going to hit earth...

Do you think that society would fall apart under the idea that whatever they do doesn't matter? Or do you think we would be civil and act accordingly? Something like that would really test how far we as a society have come...hmm
    Well if you know your going to die you might as well live it up.

the thing i find funny about this story is the range of different odds of it hitting in different articles. i saw it range from 1 in 250 000 to 1 in 600 000 000. what to believe these days with so many different versions of the same story and supposedly same source.

Originally posted here by THE RADICAL

Do you think that society would fall apart under the idea that whatever they do doesn't matter? Or do you think we would be civil and act accordingly? Something like that would really test how far we as a society have come...hmm.
    that's what I carry a lootin brick for
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

i read about that...they said they would blow it up incase of emergency... lol Armageddon all over again.

At the moment, he added, scientists fear it could take at least 30 years for the world to be able to devise and set up a mission to deal with such a threat -- a timescale which would be woefully inadequate if the 2019 strike were to happen.
    The Americans managed to get to the moon inside 10 years, I'm sure if we had to, we would all come together and make it happen inside 17 years...

As for reaction of the society, I figure the movie "Deep Impact" protayed it pretty realistically...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Exclamation

hi,
    acording to NASA that this asteroid will hit us 17 years from now
    but what for sure now is that in 17 year, many thing could happen

Er0k, you really are a conspiracy theorist!

There are no chinese or russian space stations! (The russian space station - Mir - was disintegrated in the atmosphere last year!) Eitherways, that's not something that a space station (even ISS) would be equiped to detect.

And by the way, the data about those asteroids is publicly availible (http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/)... of course you're gonna say that's why the site is "overloaded" currently but anyways..

And between, the reason that the US were the first to detect 2002 NT7 is that the US are the first to have an automated array of telescopes with computerized detection of asteroids...
    (it actually works with differential comparaison of timed lapsed pictures...)

Then again... it could also be a conspiracy!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss