Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one is better?

Question Which one is better?

Hello www.Antionline.com I have a question If high security is a primary factor in designing a LAN, what type of cable is the best choice? I think fiber, Because the signals in fiber-optic cable are not detected by electronic eavesdropping equipment, and also it is extremely hard to tap. The network fails completely when the cable is cut. But I heard some guys say (10base5) is a better cable for a LAN, which one is better? Or what would you recommend?

Copper should be fine as long as the data sent through the cables is heavily encrypted. I would be more worried about people picking up signals from CRT monitors.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Question stuck!

Thanks for the reply cwk9 the data will be heavily encrypted but I found out fiber-optic can handle much higher data transfer rates than copper conductors and can use longer distances between stations before signal deterioration. But I don't know what to do about people picking up signals from CRT monitors that can be a very serious promblem any suggestions?

The Iceman Cometh
    For your first question, I would recommend Cat 5e or Cat 6 for small distances (say for within a building to route traffic from the switch to individual computers). For longer distances though (between buildings or between switches), I would go for Fiber. Fiber'll cost you a fortune if you want it for each individual computer, though, if you have your network running servers, I recommend that you run a fiber line directly to the server room, and either route into to the Cat 5e/6 there with a switch, or get fiber NICs for the servers..

As for people picking up signals from CRT monitors, that's fairly difficult to do. What sort of network are you planning on running which needs this kind of security?

AJ

As for people picking up signals from CRT monitors, that's fairly difficult to do. What sort of network are you planning on running which needs this kind of security?

All I'm going to do is build a small LAN for personal use at my home. I really like security and computers. As for people picking up signals from CRT monitors, I'll just get a lcd monitor. Thank's for the reply!

The Iceman Cometh
    And you're planning on going with Fiber? Wow. I mean, I have sizeable amount of money I spend on computer and electronic equipment, but I could never justify cabling my house with fiber. The NICs alone are generally $350+. I have a switched gigabit infrastructure (including a wireless network) running on my home now, simply because 100 Mb/s wasn't enough to handle the traffic between my servers and my workstations. Even then, I still only have gigabit adapters within my servers, while my workstations all have 10/100 cards, since they don't need gigabit connections.

AJ

I Know that this does not have anything to do with the subject , but i do know that in the world of computers there are endless things to learn.Ive been learning about computers for over 2 years now , I can program in C , HTML,BASIC (SHHHH), Ive read hacking exposed and all that other junk , but i just do not know where I stand in the hacker community.What my limits are, and if im considered a "Lamer" Or not.I take computer security very seriously and I really do not do lamish things to computer systems.So do you think anybody can be so kind as to tell me where they think I stand in the community?
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

The Iceman Cometh
    <digress> n01100110 > First off, I would recommend asking such questions as a new thread, but you're new, so don't worry about it. Regarding whether you are a "Lamer" or not... If you're a script kiddie, want to learn how to hack, etc., then this probably isn't the site for you. This site is dedicated to computer security and how to ensure that such people do not access computers/networks. If you are genuinely interested in learnng about computers and computer security, this site offers a plethora of information. If, however, you are going to ask "how to hack hotmail" or ask about various hacking-related tools, or just b*tch or whine about something, you'd better watch out because many of the people here don't take kindly to that sort of thing... </digress>

AJ

Yea n01100110,if you are into cracking, script kiddy type stuff you can also check out
    www.hackers.com or checkout www.elitehackers.com these places are full of L@/\/\£®'§, script kiddy's etc....

This is probobly going to sound like a dumb question, But what is so insecure about crt monitors?
    Theres no need to fear, BlazeTech is here