Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cracker Trying To Get In...

Well if ur talking about file shares , then i know a little trick that gets the job done with legion or any other lame tool.For your file share name (ex my_stuff) , you would append an $ to the end of it so it would look like this (my_stuff$).Not elite , but it will get the job done.
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

The Iceman Cometh
    Jared > In my experience, ZoneAlarm works terrific on a 2000-based server. I currently have ZoenAlarm Pro running on my 2000 servers without any problems. My hardware firewall blocks all incoming traffic except for very specific ports, but ZoneAlarm has been useful filtering that incoming traffic as well as all outgoing traffic. Hope that helps

AJ

Well not sure how your firewall IP tables work but if I have a known IP 218.108.215.89 I can with my firewall then use the following
    218.108.215.0 = nix 255 addys on that leg of the IP
    218.108.0.0 = nix both addys and an entire leg
    218.0.0.0 nix China alltgether cause I don't do business with them nor the site depend upon visitors from China
    just my general firewall rules when I see sh..ah stuff I don't like and yep another table can take care of exceptions.

While I use Zone alarm at home another system at work but from what I see ZA covers this also.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

do you have restrict anonymous turned on? if not then its really easy for any script kiddie to find all of the user names on your computer. esp with w2000 i find it very common in my neck of the woods.

DISCLAIMER:

Sorry for my lame message earlier in the thread, it got some bad reactions and justly so! It was after clubbing for a mate's birthday so I wasn't in the soberest state and just wanted to express general joy and appreciation, though obviously I picked the wrong medium - but hey! At least I can acknowledge it was stupid! So what exactly is a whois? How does it work? I know you've gotten past that now and it's really obvious to you all but I do wanna try to understand stuff even if I have minimal knowledge on which to base it, sooo...any handy links etc?

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

There are registries of who "owns" what IP blocks, as well as who owns what dns names. When you register those they ask informations. A whois is simply querying those registries. You give it an IP address, it looks up in what IP block it is, it looks up who owns the ip block and returns the info provided by the owner... It's that simple..

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Oh ok, I can kinda comprehend that, wow! But...how do you all know how to query the registries? Is that really common knowledge? Are they really accessible or something? And I know this is pretty dumb but why would you need to register them anyway? Sorry for being so persistently lame, and thanks for clarifying that ammo!

XXX

str34m3r
    The site at www.arin.net provides a nice web-based interface for the whois database. If the IP address you're asking about is under someone else's jurisdiction (such as APNIC in this example), they will give you a link to the APNIC whois so you can do the appropriate search there. It's a great way to do whois-type searches without needed a whois client.

Brilliant, thankyou. I had no idea it was so simple, no wonder I sound like a ****. Ho hum. We live and learn. Additionally, is that similar to the databases you can get that identify homeowners' names, addresses, immediate family and phone numbers? Or are they not common access?

XXX

str34m3r
    The only time you should get a homeowner's address from his IP address is when he/she bought the IP address permanently. More typically, you'll get the name of the ISP or a company name associated with an entire IP block. Then you have to contact the ISP or company if you want to get any more detailed info. Often, though, they won't give you any info won't give you any of the info for the person in question, they'll just handle the complaint themselves. This is usually a good thing, since I sure wouldn't want my ISP giving away my home address to any Joe Schmoe who claimed that my IP had attacked them.