Thread: Online hacker raids bank accounts!

Thumbs down Online hacker raids bank accounts!

The story can be found here @ http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0103415-0.html

Online hacker raids bank accounts
    06/29/02 02:00 PM
    Source: Reuters
    URL: http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0103415-0.html

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore's DBS Bank, the banking unit of DBS Group Holdings, says a computer hacker has siphoned money from 21 online bank accounts in amounts ranging from S$200 (73 pounds) to S$4,999 (1,800 pound).

The bank declined to comment on the total amount pilfered but said that all 21 cases happened on June 19, when one of its customers raised the alarm.

"When we checked, we found there were irregular transfers to one account. We became suspicious, and decided to put a stop to it," a DBS spokeswoman said.

Singapore police said on Saturday they had established the identity of the suspect and were looking for him.

Online fund transfers between DBS accounts are capped at S$5000 a day unless customers request otherwise.

The spokeswoman said the hacker was only able to gain access to the funds from other customers because he had his own DBS account.

"The suspect did not hack into our system. He gained illegal access to the affected customers' PCs without their knowledge," the DBS spokeswoman said.

"Customers should play an active role in protecting their own access," she added.

DBS, Southeast Asia's largest bank, has some three million customers and about 370,000 online accounts.

Re: Online hacker raids bank accounts!

Originally posted here by Isellcrack4FBI
    The story can be found here @ http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0103415-0.html

Online hacker raids bank accounts
    06/29/02 02:00 PM
    Source: Reuters
    URL: http://investor.cnet.com/investor/ne...0103415-0.html

"The suspect did not hack into our system. He gained illegal access to the affected customers' PCs without their knowledge," the DBS spokeswoman said.

It's not really hacking....But how did he "gain illegal access to the affected costumers PC's"?? Sound's like something simple such as our old friend Sub7 was used to retrieve passwords....

On a side note, Isellcrack4FBI has to be one of the best names I'v come across here at AO! Maybe I'm just easily amused?

Thumbs up

It's not really hacking....But how did he "gain illegal access to the affected costumers PC's"?? Sound's like something simple such as our old friend Sub7 was used to retrieve passwords
    Personally I think he used a lot of social engineering , and installed a key logger on their system.

On a side note, Isellcrack4FBI has to be one of the best names I'v come across here at AO! Maybe I'm just easily amused?

LOL Thanks Conf1rm3d_K1ll

Thats an inventive way to steal money, skip the bank, go to the customers. Smart too, big corporations try to hard to protect their online privacy, that little guy playing around in his basement however may not be so vigilant. Clever guy, whoever did this hacking. As long as he wasn't be lame and using a script kiddie tool.

I mean "being lame" not "be lame". Sorry 'boot that.

This sounds like a copy up of the movie Hackers
    Join the White Hat universe!

1. Bank Tellers in the US make like nothing just provide a smile yes and no thing.
    (first fault is like do these people really care about the job ..nope no long term payoff like if I work for this company I can one day retire)
    Prime social engineering ground there and your own smarts have to get the above concept. No no level of thought there now really, just basic stuff like an employes have no job security and since they don't they smile and give the info just another job.

Prime answer unless a employee any employee feels they have security in their job things will not change. Everytime I go to my bank I see new faces why cause people moved on cause the job paid crap and no long term benefit and well they just did not give a ****.

Banking full of holes yep like most things now days getting into any system takes but basic skills and unless the Corp people understand that they are and will remain an easy target. First rule of security is the rank and file employee need to care and be secure in their choosen profession, do not give that then your always gonna be fair game.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg