Formatting my hard drive!

Thread: Formatting my hard drive!

Angry Formatting my hard drive!

Hey everyone, i know this is a really newbie question, and more than likely a very very very simple question but i've never done this before. Okay, to start my computer has been bugging out on me b/c of sum software i've installed, and lately it's just been running noticebly slower, so i figured that since i have back up's of everything, i could just format my hard drive so i can get a fresh start again. Now the only way i've been told to format my drive is by right-clicking on the c: drive and clicking on format, but when i do that, it says that i need to close down any apps using that drive, and i try to close down every single app using it, but either i'm missing an app to close or sumthin, but it's really bugging me. i don't know how to do this thru dos b/c i haven't been in dos in ages, since my first computer about 6 or 7 years ago. I'm running Win XP, upgraded from WinME (WORST windows ever if you ask me). I have my boot disk that was given to me when i purchased this computer and i have my upgrade disk for win XP. Any help would b greatly appreciative. Thanks alot!!!
    \"But I don\'t want to go among mad people,\" Alice remarked.
    \"Oh, you can\'t help that,\" said the Cat: \"we\'re all mad here. I\'m mad. You\'re mad.\"
    \"How do you know I\'m mad?\" said Alice.
    \"You must be,\" said the Cat, \"or you wouldn\'t have come here.\"

TechieChick
    Hi DJMadhatter...

Your XP cd is bootable and will prompt you to wipe partitions and format then start the load for you.

First item to check is that your bios is set to boot to the cd. As your system starts post, note on the screen what will get you into BIOS. Typically this is f2, DEL or f10. Once in BIOS look for the boot up option and make certain that CD-ROM is the first choice. Once done, drop the XP cd in the drive, save your settings and your system will restart hopefully booting to the CD.

Follow the onscreen directions, wipe the partition and create a new one, format the system and load XP. I would suggest using NTFS by the way.

Since this is an upgrade cd, it will look for a prior version of Windows. When the install stops and asks you for verification, exchange the XP cd for the ME cd and point the inquiry to the proper drive and click ok. Once done, swap back to the XP cd and continue on.

It's very easy and again, the system will prompt you.

Good luck!

TC

Banned
    To format from dos type "format c:" where "c" is the letter of your drive. Then either your computer can boot from cd, which it most likely can or you can use the boot disk to add that functionality to it. Then you can reinstall XP, or ME then upgrade to XP if you only got the upgrade.

Ya I reply with khakisrule , you have to go to the command prompt and type format c:
    then press /y of course , and then your off to a fresh start.
    -n
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

TechieChick
    Type format c:?? with what?? You neglected to mention a little thing like a boot floppy. Why bother with this since the cd is bootable and will handle this for you. Not to mention that XP is best run with NTFS vs. Fat 32 and since I'm assuming you're talking about a Win98 or WinME boot floppy...well..they just don't format in NTFS and when you boot back up with that XP CD, ya get to start all over again.

No offense djmadhatter but by your own admission this is a new procedure for you so I gave you the most direct and easiest way to format your drive.

Oh..and he mentioned in his post that he had the upgrade cd for XP, not the full install.
    Why is it no one reads full threads anymore, just glance through it and jump in to post??

Banned
    You don't need to format with a floppy. All you need to do is restart in dos, then you can format the drive. Then XP can be re-installed.

Banned

Lightbulb

Isn't the format program going to be on that one harddrive, so it'll try to erase itself?

Also, wouldn't the windows explorer (desktop) be running for you to right click the icon and try to format? You could only format a hard drive which doesn't have the windows OS you're booted into on it.

As stated, you could use a floppy, or use the OS disks to do it.

Thnx all yall for every1's reply's. i'm gonna try u'r method tho TechieChick b/c i was asking a couple of my friends here last nite and they mentioned the same thing, i just wanted to see what more educated ppl thought, b/c my friends r not terribly bright about some things lol. alright thnx again and wish me luck lol!
    \"But I don\'t want to go among mad people,\" Alice remarked.
    \"Oh, you can\'t help that,\" said the Cat: \"we\'re all mad here. I\'m mad. You\'re mad.\"
    \"How do you know I\'m mad?\" said Alice.
    \"You must be,\" said the Cat, \"or you wouldn\'t have come here.\"

i agree u shud stick with techiechiks advice, its the easist way in my opinion to reformat a hard drive when using win xp

Djm Listen to T.C she knows her stuff
    Regards
    Mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....