Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This mistaken definition of a newbie.

Mistaken definition of a newbie.READ

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this thread to get something out that has been on my mind. I have noticed that some people are mistaking a newbie for someone who dosen't know much about computers, not security. It has been said many times before that a newbie is someone who is new to security/hacking, and everyone thinks they are just new to the computer. I am trying to tell everyone here not to mistake someone who asks "where can i get sub7?" or "how do i hack a computer" or "how do i hack hotmail" as a newbie, most call them script kiddies though. But some people new to AO are considering a newbie is just as bad as a script kiddie. Newbies want to learn. They don't want social status, they aren't evil. They are mistaken for lamers and script kiddies. Here is the definition of lamer from http://www.hackers.com:
    A lamer is not a hacker. Someone is classified as a lamer when:
    1: They ask others to break into email accounts, or deface websites for them.
    2: They talk about sub7 or Back Oriface.
    3: They ask alot of questions, but arent willing to read articles,books, or investigate on their own.
    4: They ask others to do any illegal activity for any reason.
    That pretty much describes lamers and script kiddies.

Here is a definition of a lamer, script kiddie, and newbie/neophyte(by ennis in her tutorial) from http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=218093
    Newbies/Neophythes
    Newbies are only well new to hacking, they are striving to learn and it is at this stage they decide what path they will take. A newbie could become anything if not taught early the code of the hacker. The usually go through a process of learning from their mistakes.
    Neophythes are newbies who are beginning to show some knowledge and are contributing to the hacker society. Many hackers remain at this stage and few move on the 'uberhacker' status.

Lamers
    Lamers are the people that just wont learn, they are not interested in real hacking instead looking for easy ways to impress their freinds etc. Everything they do is accomplished without any innovative ideas, just basic copying of old exploits, tools etc.

Script Kiddies
    *Ennis cringes* Yes we all them, the bottom of the hacker culture is fulll of wannabes, these malicious kids are lamers with enough knowledge to lets say, deface a site or execute DoS attacks, creat simple virii etc. They are the people that give hackers a bad name.
    So, as I have mentioned, newbies want to learn. They are not like lamers and script kiddies. They are way ahead of them. And lamers and script kiddies are not as bad as a newbie. Newbies are way better. Newbies don't use tools, they don't touch DoS or virii(unless they are learning about programming with virii). Although, some people will start out as a script kiddie, but they usually don't have bad intent, just trying to figure out hacking, or they start by learning trojans. Newbies are striving for knowledge. So, newbies aren't script kiddies, lamers or computer illiterate.

Thanks for you time~
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Banned
    Well said~!

mmm interesting i have spent a lot of time keeping hackers out of our servers,i have studied the technics,i have used them (test purposes only)i have visited 100s of web sites with some interesting tools,i have studied on scripts,a little vb,heap of linux and a bit of unix,and have seen the technics they use first hand(attacks on our servers).So what do i Qualify as??????

Originally posted here by reaper44
    mmm interesting i have spent a lot of time keeping hackers out of our servers,i have studied the technics,i have used them (test purposes only)i have visited 100s of web sites with some interesting tools,i have studied on scripts,a little vb,heap of linux and a bit of unix,and have seen the technics they use first hand(attacks on our servers).So what do i Qualify as??????
    Well what you just described is pretty much a Tuesday in the life of a systems admin

Kwiep
    I fully agree, I also was a newbie and maybe i still am but some time ago i joined www.cyberarmy.com and tried to beat the zebulun challanges. I don't know if they are still the same but for rank 3 (i think) you had to do something but there wasn't a button or something to get to the challange. I was really pissed because it could be everything. Maybe the purpose was to somehow break into the cyberarmy servers and manualy change the list with ranks, how should i know. (I didn't actually do that by the way). And than if you really are going to scan those servers you're a 'script kiddie' who isn't capable of using a computer the right way and you get banned out of the cyberarmy while your only intention was to beat the next challange.

Well, this was mostly fiction off course but it gives some illustration. I also know my English isn't the world's best so I'm sorry for that.
    Double Dutch

Thank's huntx7, it is good to be understood better.
    Thumbs up for you!!
    Tudo que rela é relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

finally, im glad to see a proper definition of a newbie

So, as I have mentioned, newbies want to learn.
    I still consider myself a newbie. I still on the process of learning. Perhaps, everybody still wants to learn. So I consider everyone a newbie.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.

Thanks everyone for your reply and input. I am glad to see all of you enjoyed that and agreed. I just realized how newbies were mistaken for script kiddies and lammers and computer illiterate(you read it ;p) and thats not true. So I figure, why not get this off my mind and share my view. If you are a newbie looking for knowledge, or just looking for knowledge and just begginging this whole security/hacking thing I have lots of sites for you to get started on, or if you want some wargames, or whatever(not script kiddie and lamer stuff sites). I'm here to learn and help, so just ask. Post in here and tell me if you want some good links for what I mentioned above.

http://www.thenewbiesarea.com/ < - - lots of help

Thanks for your time~
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

politroyx > your right, learning never stops, hence we are all newbies forever in a sense. I myself don't put much value on terms like 1337 or newbie, I think somones ability lies in what they can do and what they know, not what they are called.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0