Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hiding my IP address??

Wink

I totally agree that spoofing is NO GOOD!! And you will get caught thats why i said "read up on them" ...But if he really just wants to be a "bit" more anoymous while surfing a proxy would help a little. I didnt no multiproxy didnt work anymore... how about "the proxomitron" i heard good stuff about that...

Old Fart

Lightbulb This MIGHT work

Right up front, I have not tried this, but it may be a viable option in this situation. I have been told that Tiny Personal Firewall, offered by www.tinysoftware.com , has the ability to mask your IP addy. Again, I haven't tried it personally but I do consider the gentleman who gave me this information to be fairly reliable. I hope this helped!!

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Oh yea, I forgot to mention NAT (Network Address Translation). NAT is another way to hide your true ip. NAT is part of some hubs, routers, etc.. Basically the NAT device replaces your IP with its own. So do a google search on NAT as well.
    x

Thanks People for all of your suggestions....I'll will read up on proxies and see if the can help...I have been using ZA along with my linksys router to hide it but it still will not mask it...time to go do some reading
    thanks yanner

Uhh, Proxomitron is said to have problems. You can check it out yourself at: http://search.aol.com/redirect.adp?a...22%94%df%b4%7c

also if you go to altavista and click the translator type in your url
    then altavista retrieves the page for ya kinda like a free proxy

yeah, Good work ele5125.
    i totally agree with it.
    proxys are anonymous,so get anonymous proxy, this way the ip address in the outgoing packets from the proxy server is the IP address for the proxy and not your computer. But I think there are proxy servers which do not hide your actual IP address.
    Finally,i think there is a progra in which you can use to change ya identity of ya computer, i cant really remember the name right now, but will when i do will get back to you.

it's me V-I-R-U-S.

Wow, I see a lot of bad advice along with a lot of misleading statements and just general misunderstanding flying around here.

Let's see if we can fix some of it.

1) Proxies are ONE way to hide your IP address, and probably the simplest. Hiding your IP address doesn't actually give you any real advantage though, because anyone with a simple portscanner can see your computer is up and connected unless you've got a well-configured firewall. Indeed, not all Proxy Servers are anonymous. Some are simply there to offer lower latency (and thus speedier service).

2) Spoofing the source IP address will not allow you to actually receive any information, therefore, it is not possible to use it to hide your IP address, and again therefore is irrelevant to this discussion.

3) Few, if any, ISPs log network traffic. If they did, they would have terabtyes of logfiles after only a day, possibly a week, depending on the size of the ISP. If you don't understand this, just get a linux box, put it on any network with even simple Win9x boxes, and run tcpdump, and you'll see what I mean.

4) A NAT device (AKA Router) is not an efficient way to hide your IP Address, mainly because you generally need to be plugged into the device. I'm unaware of any services that provide NAT for free (or for money, for that matter) online. If you have a cable or DSL 'modem', it is really simply a router, and all it does is NAT, as well as a few other simple things (DHCP, etc).
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Actually I don't see the irrelevance of spoofing in this discussion, he said he wanted to hide hid IP, he never said what for. Second you don't actually know if they do or don't log network traffic, I am not saying they do, but perhaps they use some kind of monitor and log what it finds.

You can browse the Internet anonymously by using some legal anonymous surfing services. There are some sites that offer this for free. Its looks just like a search engine and you can type in the name of a site you want to browse anonymously and you will be sent there. you can use anon.de or
    idmask.com
    With great power comes great responsibility.