Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hiding my IP address??

Originally posted here by shelobo
    I never asked how I could "spoof" MY Ip!! I asked how it is done as In several chat's I see some saying that they have "spoofed"THIER Ip.I only asked because I wanted to know IF they was b/sing me or what.Simple question.Because many say they are "unhackable" due to the fact they use Xp.Only one way to find out IF they are b/sing is to ask people with "KNOWLEDGE"I won't ask such a dumb question again.T/Y/V/M tho
    Very true, which was why I said it was irrelevant in the first place.

People who claim they are unhackable because they use Windows XP are idiots. There are already about a dozen or more vulnerabilities in XP (UPnP had three patches the day the boxes hit the shelves). It's well on track to becoming the next Win2K (something like 300+ vulnerabilities and counting).

With the way the internet works, if you surf to a website, they will know your IP address.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Proxy server would be the way to go. The only problems I forsee are. There pretty much has to be a second machine in the mix, and it will have to have 2 NIC cards one for your REAL IP address, and the other to pass out the private IP addresses for you "Network". The other problem I see is that most ISP's provide IP addresses Dynamically which mean you dont have the same IP adddress for too long and this poses a problem for your proxy server which needs a STATIC IP address. You can get static IP addresses from most ISP's but at a price.

Do you really need to hide your IP that bad in a home environment?

Any thoughs are great.

Kwiep
    very true also..
    Double Dutch

Originally posted here by shelobo
    I never asked how I could "spoof" MY Ip!! I asked how it is done as In several chat's I see some saying that they have "spoofed"THIER Ip.I only asked because I wanted to know IF they was b/sing me or what.Simple question.Because many say they are "unhackable" due to the fact they use Xp.Only one way to find out IF they are b/sing is to ask people with "KNOWLEDGE"I won't ask such a dumb question again.T/Y/V/M tho
    First off shelobo there is no such thing as a dumb question. Well actually there is, it is one that is left unasked. As far as answers go there can be some that are misinformed.

DHCP is used to dynamically serve IP addresses. The M$ DHCP server keeps track of the IP addresses it doles out for a determined length of time. (Determined by the SysAdmin) I am sure that most *nix boxes do the same however, I have never used that server so I couldn't tell you with authority. Perhaps someone else can.

If you find someone's IP address you can easily find out who the address belongs to. Not the individual that is using it but the ISP that is serving it. You can find the ISP by using a WHOIS server such as the one found at:
    http://www.geektools.com/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi
    Then you can go to that ISP and ask who is/was using an IP address at a given point in time. Most likely you will not get that info from the ISP unless you are with the the Police or FBI or some other government agency. I could go on but this really isn't the correct venue for such a lengthy discussion.

As far as the other ideas about having additional equipment such as a router, a firewall or a proxy server, while technically correct you can hide your "computer" IP address from the internet, one of those devices will still have an IP address and that IP address is yours as you got it from your ISP. So realistically you are not hiding your IP address nor are you spoofing an IP address

If someone is telling you that they are spoofing their IP address while they are online. They are b/sing you. It isn't considered spoofing at that point it is actually surfing anonymously. There used to be websites that would allow you to surf anonymously, I don't know if they are still around though.

As far as "unhackable" goes...the only true way to be unhackable is to not be online in the first place.

Thank you woody for a "nice" reply.I often wonder when i have been told or seen chatters say they are "spoofed' just what they meant.You answered my question very nicely.Thank you

I don't know why anyone would want to use a proxy to hide their ip address, though. I mean, all they can do is a whois, and a portscan if they do get it. But, if you've been bad, they can track you down via your ISP, and even if you do use a proxy, it just makes it harder to track you down, and probably not much harder. But, if you didn't do anything bad, what's the sense of doing that?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Nanner Nanner Yanner

Poor Yanner!

Talking about digression. Some of you made some very nice points, but whatever happened to the original question. Yanner try GhostSurf 1.7 at Major Geeks.com. It's shareware. Try it out, if you like it -by it. Some nice features.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=1278

[glowpurple]Cheers.[/glowpurple]

I can see the front page: Man sent to the pen because he did a SPOOFY!!!!!!!!!!), ... Sorry, just wanted to be funny here

Lightbulb Don't Try It

Proxy servers really are the way to go, but if you're thinking about hacking a machine proxies won't help. All they have to do is check through the proxy's logs.
    That might stop a script kiddie, which is most likely the only person trying to do anything to your machine anyway. Your computer probably isn't a server or hold any large amounts of valuable data.

I asked how it is done as In several chat's I see some saying that they have "spoofed"THIER Ip
    Those people may be using BNCs or vhosts to hide their host name/IP address. They are bs'ing you. I know that it is possible to have 2 way communication when spoofing an IP as my friend was showing off to me, though he can't do it for anything as complex as web surfing. And as for proxies, here is the thing. Like chsh said, not all hide your IP address. The ones that do not are called transparent proxies and the ones that do are called non-transparent proxies. Maybe a search on google would yield some non-transparent proxies for you to use. And as for tiny hiding you IP address, I have used tiny and I have never seen it hide my IP address, I have tried going to sites and seeing if tiny made my machine use some kind of proxy or something in an attempt to see if it was trying to hide my IP address, well, nothing. I didn't think it would have.