Thread: AIM trouble

AIM trouble

i know i am a newbie and this is a serious question about aol instant messenger. i use a proxy to surf the web and so i decided hey, why not try to configure the proxy for aim. so i set it up as the same proxy that i surf the web with. now the only problem is, when i try to sign back on, it takes forever(i have a cable modem and usually i am online in a flash) but now it just sits there with the message, "1. Connecting...", i cant sign on with anyother sns , it only results with the same effect. i did however, when i was configuring the proxy, left the proxy type as it was, (socks somethign) i wasnt really paying attention(but it was the first one out of 5 going down) help would be appreciated in fixing this delema, next time i know not to mess with things i dont know anything about!!! thanks fellas

Umm, best thing you can do is a) get another proxy, b) don't use a proxy, or c) read up on proxies so you understand the different types, including SOCKS, and you can configure AIM to do what you're wanting it to do.

Whenever I have a problem like that, I disconnect from the Internet and restart my PC. Maybe there is something screwed up with your current connection. Maybe someone has your IP address and gave you a Trojan. But on the bright side, keep smiling.

Usually proxy's for AIM are slow. I used to do it and have the same trouble you are having. I would just try using another proxy. If you get the same results then it just might be what somac112 was saying. Something just might be up with your connection.
    Good Grief

whats the point of using a proxy for a chat client anyways? It's not like just by chatting with you they can obtain your ip address via netstat. And unless they setup a direct connection with you they can't, but even then I think a proxy would be useless.

Or maybe you just have some really really really evil people on your buddy list...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Banned
    I would consider downloading MultiProxy.

What makes this software useful, is that it "tests a list of proxy servers and sorts them by connection speed and level of anonimity".

You can download it at: http://www.multiproxy.org/multiproxy.htm

And unless they setup a direct connection with you they can't, but even then I think a proxy would be useless.
    You're right, even if your on a proxy, if you are direct connected they can netstat your real IP
    WWJD
    What Would Jesus Do (For a klondike Bar?)