Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally had enough of Microsoft!

Wink I finally had enough of Microsoft!

Tonight I finally did it. I dumped microsoft completly off my machine and installed Linux on the entire 3 hard drives! I feel like I just busted my cherry.

I can't think of any reason why I still need that machine running any Windows products. It was the 3rd time I had to re-install XP and 2000 (used both off and on) all each time having to re-install my Linux partitions since Windows wipes out the boot sector and I didn't use a boot manager other than lilo.

I may miss some games, but hey I would rather spend my time trying to get WINE to work.

Thanks for all the support
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Red face tired of microsoft

Why do so many people complain about Microsoft. It is an annoyance sometimes especially as they (MS) release new things every 6 mos-year. But the product has its uses and is very user friendly for people trying to get familiar with hardware and OS.

LINUX is however a great operating system with much power in the right hands.

I am a firm believer in using whatever is needed to get the job done...

people complain because m$ makes it very difficult to transact with anyone not using a m$ product. if a person using star office sends a document to someone using office, the office user gets the message "support for this file type has not been installed. Would you like to install it now? They freak and call the sysadmin, who usually complains like hell for being pulled away from more important duties (irc) and usually doesn't know what star office is anyway and why should something he/she didn't authorize need to be used at all.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Whatever it takes is right, I'm using windows on one of my machine to run some TV tuner hardware, something linux can't currently do with that card. As for games, I'm a gamer but its sad that everyone develops with directX and such. I think games could benefit the most from linux's stability. Sure its not the most user-friendly OS in the world, but it really works. What a concept that is.

no kidding, microsoft gets really annoying when all you get is the "blue screen of death" and nothing ever seems to fit it, and defragmenting the hard drive, thats always a bitch.
    The Earth turns, but we don\'t feel it move, and one night you look up, one spark, and the sky is on fire. - GONY

01100011 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110000 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100101 01110100

It really is up to personal choice really. I think possibly one of the reasons you hear a lot of complaints about MS is that their software is on a large portion of the computers out there, so there are more potential problems, as opposed to linux, which is a lot less mainstream, so the linux problems get less of the attention, if that makes sense to anyone.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

er0k

Re: tired of microsoft

Originally posted here by mcsegraves
    Why do so many people complain about Microsoft. It is an annoyance sometimes especially as they (MS) release new things every 6 mos-year. But the product has its uses and is very user friendly for people trying to get familiar with hardware and OS.

LINUX is however a great operating system with much power in the right hands.

I am a firm believer in using whatever is needed to get the job done...
    ... i agree with you on them releasing new stuff, because it is true, the only thing good with windows is that it is easy to use (when it works). Ive been using linux and windows on and off for about 5 weeks now. And have never realized how many problems i have with windows. Rebooting all the time is not a favorite of mine. One thing i do enjoy about windows is the installation wizards . Anyway, you bring up good points, and i also believe in what gets the job done.

I think Tedob1 has got it right. It is the fact most other people use MS stuff that you feel that you have to do. The conversion of documents from one platform to another must be really annoying for people. When I got my PC it came with a Lotus Office package and when we upgraded to Microsoft Office (Did i say upgraded!?!) It was bad. The reason we did this was they used MS office at my school and I couldnt be fussed with converting the documents/etc. all the time. IMO, Lotus Office was better.

Just my opinion =) Prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

I agree with using whatever makes it easiest with the least amount of hassle. I love Linux as a networking OS, but right now I'm more involved in sound production and gaming, neither of which Linux is good for. I'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server right now, and it works amazingly well. Very rarely does it crash on me. Everyone complains about it's compatibility problems, but if you get certain patches for it, those go away. I know alot of you are going to complain about having to get those patches in the first place, when it should have been fixed before it was released, but look at all the patching you have to do with Linux...

Re: I finally had enough of Microsoft!

Originally posted here by lucktsm
    I feel like I just busted my cherry.
    That phrase means a *whole* different thing over here in Ireland, he he he.