Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux question

Linux question

I have just downloaded Linux Mandrake 8.1
    and im wondering if i shoud install it on my server, but the server can only run under windows
    its sambar, so is there any way to get it to run under linux ?
    and will i be abel to still play CS if i install Linux Mandrake 8.1 ?
    \"I hold you so that you will be whole.\"
    \"I\'m not whole. Does that mean that you
    won\'t hold me anymore?\"

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hi there..

I'm a little confused by your post. What do you mean, your server can only run under windows? is it your server?

And if it is designed for Windows platform (as it's parent site suggests) then no you cannot run it under linux unless you create (i.e., programming) a port of it.

What is CS?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Can't you just partition that Hard Drive into two or something like that, and have Mandrake running in one of the partitions, so it doesn't interfere with Windows?

Banned
    Yes you will still be able to play Counter-Strike under Linux. Check out www.counter-strike.net for the Linux MOD's.

Yes you will still be able to play Counter-Strike under Linux. Check out www.counter-strike.net for the Linux MOD's.
    Fakeboy -- I think that those are only the Linux dedicated server ports. There is still hope, though! To play CS on a Linux box, you'll need to either setup WINE (http://www.winehq.com/), setup VMWare (http://www.vmware.com), abandon Mandrake and install Lindows (http://www.lindows.com -- NOT RECOMMENDED JUST YET.), or make your system dual boot (http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue38/veselosky.html). Any option will work, and I'm sure there's at least one or two other ways to play CS on Linux.

However, this kind of answers your other question, Charmed Rulez. You can have Windows and Linux work side by side at least 3 different ways I know of, and possibly more. Lindows promises to be able to run Windows apps on Linux, but I'm not holding my breath for this project just yet. I think your best bet is dual-booting for now, until you get used to Linux.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

er0k
    bah i hate mandrake 8.1, i suggest you upgrade to 8.2, it has alot more server features and is just better overall. I dont know much about servers, but i do know that 8.2 saves you alot of stress that you would have on 8.1 Im on 8.1 right now, and me and redgore sat around trying to figure out the problem for like 2 hours. Anyway, best of luck.

Hmm then I chose not to install mandrake, because it make no point for my server to have Linux on it when the server program only can run on a windows machine, but thanks for the help any way, maybe someday I will install it
    \"I hold you so that you will be whole.\"
    \"I\'m not whole. Does that mean that you
    won\'t hold me anymore?\"

The best way to get started with Linux is to go buy the Unleashed book for it at your local bookstore, and most of the books come with a CD with the OS on it.

Hello. Simply put Mandrake is a very good Operating System if you are just starting out in linux, and with samba you will be able to use your linux box as your networks server. As for CS (by the way MsMittens he is referring to the game Half Life : Counter Strike), there is a port of it available for linux. Have fun, oh and welcome to the darkside.

For Windows gaming in Linux I recommend WineX from transgaming.com. It is wonderful, and yes, you can play CS with it. Performance is also much better in most media related functions as opposed to Wine...