Thread: Any Safe Email Program?

Any Safe Email Program?

Hi all
    I want to have a simple email program to my parents, but I know theres a big chance they will open attachments... and i dont wanna start explaining them to that hi.doc is safe and hi.doc.exe is not and stuff like that... that can take a whole year, they barely knows whats control panel is.

So, I was wondering if theres an email program that can allow me to disable/configure the attachment feature, to disable all files or some types of files or something similiar.

They are tired of hotmail, and anyway internet sites do allow u to download/run a file from the web.

Any suggestions?

Banned
    Microsoft Office XP's Version of Outlook. It has an alarm if to many e-mails are being sent out within a time limit. It blocks attachments that may be questionable. I don't think your going to get much safer than that. Oh, wait. You can find somethin without the word Microsoft. On a serious note. I would suggest outlook 2002, it has some nice features.

=----....after reading your question again....----=

are you looking for a program to manage your e-mails from? "or" are you looking for an e-mail account with functionality?

are you looking for a program to manage your e-mails from? "or" are you looking for an e-mail account with functionality?
    Good Question.
    Im looking for a program to manage my e-mails from.

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/

Check the above link out. It's not free, but it does look pretty powerful. I am looking into getting it myself.

Eudora, available at http://www.eudora.com is a pretty good email client to use. It offers a lot of options in it's configuration. I've never been a fan of Outlook, any version, and it always seems like viruses are using Outlook as a vehicle of propogation.

Best advice though, is training. Don't let the user, in this case your parents, open attachments if they are NOT from a trusted source. And also be wary of attachments that are from a trusted source. Training and good AV software, and they should be OK.
    - Maverick

Banned
    I would still have to say Office XP's Outlook. Easy To Use, and they really have some nice security features.

Everything has holes in it but yea I would have to say I agree with you Fakeboy I like Windows XP outlook the best also. But to each his own.

Zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]

STeRoiD > what kind of AV do you have, because if its up to par, and updated regularyly (ie every couple of days to once a week) it shouldnt matter what email client they use. I have GriSoft AVG and it has snagged more than a few attachments that were infected with worms. Like some of the above posts say, you may have to actually give them a quick lesson on internet safety, or just print out a tutorial on it and give it to them to read to save yourself the stress?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Thanks you all for all the comments.
    The point is my parents arent so desired to learn this. All they want is their email, and they dont really care about security (You should see their passwords to know). I guess i will teach them some basic things, yeah.

Syini666 : I got Norton AntiVirus and i update him every few days

And.. You guys keep saying about Outlook XP. I have it, but where in it can i change the attachments feature? There are "rules" there but i cant see something like "block this types of files" or something "advanced" like that.