Thread: What does this port do??

What does this port do??

I just re-installed my os, which is Windows 2000 Advanced serverl. I did a full port scan and it tells me that I have several ports open. I know what all of them are but one. port 1025, which is "Network Blackjack".

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Network Blackjack is and what it does. Any help would be appreciated.
    As I lay here on my bed, stareing up at the stars, I can\'t help but wonder.... what the hell happened to my ceiling??

1025 is simply the first port dynamically assigned... 99% of the time that has nothing to do with "network blackjack"...

If you want to know what process is using which open port, I suggest you use "fport" from foundstone (www.foundstone.com)..

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

This isn't the program I was thinking of, but it would still accomplish the same thing:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/tdimon.shtml

Run it and see what program is actually using that port, then you might have a better idea of what is going on...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Originally posted here by ammo
    1025 is simply the first port dynamically assigned... 99% of the time that has nothing to do with "network blackjack"...

If you want to know what process is using which open port, I suggest you use "fport" from foundstone (www.foundstone.com)..

Ammo
    Not so....Well known ports are those from 0-1024
    Registered ports are those from 1024-49151
    Dynamic ports are those from 49152-65535

Other then that, correct. Sorry for being picky.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

aren't ports in the 1024-5000 ranged assigned dynamicaly by RPC?

Ammo

(http://www.iana.org/assignments/sun-rpc-numbers)

With portmapper any port can be "dynamic". Be careful with Sun specific anything. Sometimes they have their own idea of what standards should be.

Not that it's that big of a deal.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

well then I don't understand your definition of "dynamic" vs "registered"... Please enlighten me..

Ammo

Precision: I didn't mean that port 1025 is labeled as dynamic in the RFCs, I just meant that it happened to be the first port availible (not registered in windows's RPC) when the kernel was asked for any port... Hence my saying "dynamically assigned"

Ammo

Better than me explaining, see here ->> http://www.good-stuff.co.uk/useful/portfull.html

- Samuel Johnson

Hum, you'll have to refere me to the exact rfc where this is said because that link explained nothing.

(I'm basing my info on rfc1700)

Ammo