Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*In desperate need of help. Please read*~*~

Post ~*~*In desperate need of help. Please read*~*~

Im currently working on upgrading a friends computer. I had no idea what he had untill today. . . heh. Below is a description of his computer. I want to know if it is even possible or even worth updating this machine. In my opinion it would be better for him to build one from scratch. But please, if you know any options I can take. . . feel free to share your ideas.

Computer Type: IBM PS/1 Intel 486 SX
    MotherBoard: Type A2 <------ this thing is weird kuz there are only 2 ram slots and they are set into the board diagonally.
    Modem: Model SM-24HN/R1 <----- this thing is so old it has dip switches to set the com port.
    SoundCard: SoundBlaster 16 PnP
    CD: Creative Quad Speed CD-Rom drive
    Drive: 3.5" & 5" Floppy Drive
    Ram: 16 MB
    HardDrive: 244MB

Be honest with me. . . . is it worth the time and money to "upgrade" this thing or is it impossible? I know I will need a new motherboard. . . and I doubt it will fit into the same case.
    :::shrugs:::
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

No, nothing can be kept maybe except for the case. WASTE OF TIME. Get like a Lindows computer system for $299 at WalMart!

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    w00t. I actually just set one of those up running windows 98 a while back. Those things have really messed up cases. With as much as you are going to need to upgrade it, build a new one. If he doesn't want to spend that much money, have him get an emachines or something. Yeah, everyone says they suck because they are so cheep, but I have one set up as a linux server with an uptime of over 100 days now....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

TechieChick
    Rogue..you asked for honesty, here it is. That system would make a better boat anchor than computer.
    In it's day it was fine, but you're better off having him build something. Check here, for a baebones system. I know the head tech personally and buy a lot of product through them so they can be trusted.

Good luck..

Banned
    I have some IBM PS/1 & PS/2's I am getting rid of. I agree with law. Pick up a cheap Lindows system from WAL-Mart for $299 - $399 & Install Windows or Linux what ever your OS flavor is.

Banned
    Hahahahahaha

Hmmm

Hey Rogue,

What does he want to do with it? Play Games, Programming, Web Surfing...?

I have an OLD 486 Laptop, that is similiar to the specs on your friends computer (small HD, 486, 16MB Ram). I use it to run a Borland Compiler, and for occasional web surfing. To be honest it doesn't do that bad! In any case, I wouldn't get rid of it! Use it as a C/C++ Learning computer (If you mess it up somehow, who cares, it was old!!)

If he wants to do anything other than those two things (Code or Websurf), he should invest in a new comp

-Simon Templer
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Banned
    www.walmart.com or www.499pc.com there are so many places you can pick up barebone systems for $199. Although 499 & walmart supply ram, hard drives etc.

He recently bought a new Gateway. . . . he just wanted to try & upgrade this one for his kids to use. I told him it was basically impossible to upgrade due to its age. Thanks to all that posted to this message so quickly. Thats what I love about this community. Great people!
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

AntiOnline Senior Member
    One idea is to use it for a gateway/router... Of course, its just an idea.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]