Thread: Irc help

Irc help

Ok I looked around the site and could not find how or what IRC is. I mean I know that it is some kind of chat tool. I got net meeting and paltalk if that is what they are but i cant get them to work. Because I don't understand them. If someone can, will you please show me where to look for info. on the subject. I went to google but could only find where to download IRC but not how to use them with other programs or anything. If there has been a post on this before please let know as I might have missed it. I will remove this post if so. Thanks

Zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]

IRC = Internet Relay Chat

There have been some helpful tutorials posted in the tutorials forum. Just basically a way to chat with many people at once. It has been many years, but if I remember correctly, all the clients pretty much give you somewhere to see what has been said and a frame to type what you want to say in it. There are some commands that will work from the window and they are, if I remember right, prefaced by '/'. I think you can see a list with /help.

Have a read through the tutorials.

neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Look at the tutorials index. I posted something like 5 different IRC tutorials. MsMittens also posted one....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

IRC, Internet Relay Chat, has been around a long time. It's not a new service. In fact, it's probably the most common use of internet communication, long before Instant Messaging. The only service older would be e-mail itself. There are many different servers that play host to thousands of channels. A channel is a chat room that users go into. Often it is about a specific topic. When I used to be on EfNet (one of the major IRC group of servers -- www.efnet.org), I would frequent #macintosh (a channel for macintosh users) and #internex (a help channel setup by my ISP at the time. I could actually get online help in the channel or just yap away).

Many irc servers have help channels. If you are on a server and need information about it try one of the following. They are often present and helpful: #help, #irchelp, #service, #helpdesk. Some of the major IRC server groups include:

EFnet -- Possibly the oldest around. Quite wild at times: www.efnet.org
    Undernet -- Possibly the largest around. Recently they were DDoSed by hackers but they seemed to have pulled through, albeit with a little more of a serious look on things: www.undernet.org
    DalNet -- Second only to Undernet. Note: if you're an @home user, you'll find you've probably been k-lined (I'll explain this later): www.dal.net
    Everywherechat -- I found these guys via web chats: www.everywherechat.org
    ChatNet: www.chatnet.org
    and many, many more.

To find a listing of servers you can go to yahoo.com and do a search for IRC networks. They have a full category entirely dedicated to it. In addition, many IRC applications have built-in lists. AntiOnline has opened it's own IRC server that is separate from any of the larger networks. This was to allow for AO members to get to know each other as well as help each other and generally yap (JP, I hope you don't mind the poetic license). The AO Chat Network, as it is often referred to, consists of two servers. When you are connected you can type /map:

/antichat.res.cmu.edu (6) 2
    `-services.antionline.com (3) 1

This shows there are two servers. Services.antionline.com has, in this example, 3 users and antichat.res.cmu.edu has 6 users (light night). By the way, thanks to xy for graciously lending us access to his server. Now since AO chat is a separate network and not on most irc programs I've put the info below for you to enter into your IRC program as a new server.

antichat.res.cmu.edu port: 6667
    services.antionline.com port: 6667

When you connect to any server you often want to join your favourite chat room(s). To do this you type in the command /join #room. So to join AntiOnline's room you'd type /join #antionline.

Now, here at AO, given our orientation and concern for security we did need a way to prevent users from pretending to be someone they aren't. For this purpose, the bot AntiBot was setup to recognize people by their AntiOnline user name. (Editor's Note: Bots are programs that are used for a variety of things from channel protection to nick protection to asking trivia questions. If you want to find out more about eggdrop bots -- the most common form -- go to www.egghelp.com)

Commands sent to the server are prefaced with a /. Below are some of the more common commands:

/join #room: to join an existing room or to create a new room. All rooms are identified with a #

/list: list all the channels available

/msg username: to send a private message to someone. It's recommended to ask first.

/nick yourAOnickname: to change your nickname to your AOnickname. Don't forget:
    whois username: to find out info about a specific user

/ping username: to see how great or small the lag is between yourself and another user (same as ping in networking).

/map: to see what servers exist on this IRC network.

/me action: allows for actions to be done to show emotions, actions, etc. The most common and well known is the infamous trout action: Punkin slaps MsMittens around a bit with a large trout. This is found as a default on the mIRC windows-based IRC program.

/notify username: to let you know when a user comes online

/ignore username: so you do not see any messages, actions or anything else by a specific user. Often good for those user(s) that are abusive or irritating.

/part message: to leave a room and leave with a message (optional)

/quit message: to quit the server and leave with a message (optional)

That should cover all the user commands. Now a little understanding of the hierarchy. When you join you will see a variety of other user types. Users with:

@ before their nick name indicates that they are channel operators. This means that they have abilities to kick other users, ban other users, change topic, give ops to other users and set the modes for the channel.

% indicates a half channel operator. This means they have abilities to kick other users, ban other users and change the topic.

+v indicates that the user can talk when the channel is set on moderated.

There is a special user. When you do a /whois nickname you might see *** User is a Network Administrator. This user is a server operator and has absolute authority.

hope these helps you man. pm me if you need more any help conserning how to use them.

it's me V-I-R-U-S

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    ummm, yeah, and you are in AO IRC right now.....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

post goten from Introduction to IRC and AO IRC - MsMittens

/me notices none of his tutorials are in those links....
    [gloworange]Website
    File Server

[/gloworange]

Go to mirc.co.uk or mirc.com both sites can probably help you out.