Web Accessibility
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Accessibility

Web Accessibility

Well lets see if I can put this in simple terms. Taken a few hits and it is OK I can take it. All to often we can sit about at the keyboard and assume just the way a person posts a thread or spells may have something to do with both reason and how smart they may be. Having suffered a head injury and the long road to recovery all you spell checkers and grammer freaks out here try going to http://www.w3.org/WAI/ and look at a few of the facts there. Before you hand the points consider that some people do have less communication skills in you in typing and grammer but may exceed you in other areas. So if you got a blind programmer never assume you know more.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

You know, I agree with you totally. This is, though, brought on by the mandated regulation of pos/neg antipoints, mostly. Hopefully, something'll be done, or people will stop being so shallow. I get crap _all the time_ from people saying "gotta balance my anti's, sorry" and stupid crap like that. I know that's beside the point you're trying to make, but still. Anyways, like I said, I agree with you that people need to reconsider their reasoning behind giving negs, and even pos'. It's about contribution and help that the person does, not about if you disagree with them or don't like their name or how they spell or some junk.

It's not about the points it is about why all of this came about accessibilty. If as a community out here we impose our lack of I don't understand therefore it is bad concept. Believe me I have been flamed many a time in 10 years and well is it about concepts, ideas, and well out here want the truth you have to dig soooo do we sit smug and fault on the big idea hell in school I was faulted for not dotting a i see here it is automatic. Take off the spell checkers and what would really be typed. I use them when I must AO is not a place I come to cut and paste my perfect question in propper english and gramer <---- see from another program then fault another. Many people many languages and not all of them are perfect in English and I for one am not at least in American English and grammer. I tend to read and think take many aspect into account. All I am saying balance your points as you must but never dis someone on their what you considered proper English and Spelling there may be namy reasons for this beyond language do a google search and check the link and learn about the host of things that may cause these things. Google Google Google arm yourself with facts before you disrespect a person with a impartment
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Hey, that is grammar, not grammer.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Hey, that is grammar, not grammer
    Actually it depends where your from
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Language is about communication. There are reasons for standards, but the reason for Standard English in the UK originated around 1476 when William Caxton built the first printing press. For nationally distributed literature it was necessary to decide on a form of written language that would be accepted by everyone with all their different dialects. It was never intended to oppress and control particularly, just to avoid printing billions of copies of stuff in different dialects. I think printing was introduced to the US around 1638, although I may have got that wrong. Anyways, the point is that the reason for grammar and spelling rules is not because they are 'right' as such, more because they are convenient. Palemoon doesn't always use Standard sentence constructions, but I always understand his posts as I'm sure does everyone else, so where is he lacking in communication? The ideas are still put across. And in my personal opinion, NOTHING academic is indicative of how smart you are, it merely demonstrates your dexterity at completing set tasks. Only discussion of emotional intellect gives a good indication of independent initiative and thought; what's intellectual about spelling? My brother is dyslexic but he's one of the smartest kids I know.

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

I don't feel that people should be earning any negative points for purely grammatical mistakes. This is a worldwide forum and people should understand that English is not everybody's native language; however, with that being said, I feel it is necessary to point out that this is also a place to share and spread information. Part of the process of spreading information is communicating clearly. You can have the smartest person in the world that is the world's pre-emminent expert in an area; however, in a forum such as this, that expertise and intelligence gets you nowhere if you are unable to adequately express and communicate that knowledge to others (I have been guilty in the past about unclear posts).

I guess what I am trying to say is, that the more clearly and concisely you ask your question or post your response, the easier it is for people to understand what exactly you are asking or saying and therefore help you...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

That's true but then do misspellings and inaccurate constructions really mar clarity? Queries are usually the clearest when phrased in the simplest way, same goes for instructions, and if you're using really simple basic language then grammar probably won't feature. I get what you're saying though, obviously it is necessary to get points across well when the primary function of the site is communication of information...

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Unless of course the person is speaking in 1337 speak or something annoying like that, obviously deliberately.

forchunatly, i dont mayk speeling mistaks.

Banned
    i get pissed because most of whats on this site is not interesting security discussion. so many script kiddies and *ignorant* questions. there is a lot i have learned from this forum, but i have had to pick through tons of crap to get there.