Thread: conversion

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar

conversion

Well, being from the US, I always use feet, miles, pounds, etc. Well, a good portion of the people on here are not from the US, and use the metric system instead of the standard US system. I can't believe the number of time I have gotten a PM saying "whats that in KiloGrams" or something. So I was thinking about writing a small calculator to do it, but then I realized I am to lazy to do that. I decided it was time to search for a free conversion calculator... Well, this is what I found....
    http://download.com.com/3000-2053-49...ml?tag=lst-0-3
    Uconeer... This think has more options then I have ever heard of... 42 different catagories....370 different units... entropy.... heat capacity.... viscosity.... etc etc etc ....

Anyway, I only found 1 problem with it. It does display built in ads, but from the site....
    Note: This program has functionality limitations: it displays built-in ads, but does not connect to the Internet to download more ads (that is, it is not adware).
    Well, I haven't checked it yet to see if it does connect to the internet yet, but it seems to fast on my connection to actually be dl'ing something....

It has an interface that anyone could use, and even a link to the normal windows calculator. Why would you want that? Because many people don't realize if you put the windows calculator in scientifc mode, it will do conversion from Decimal to hex, octal, or binary.....

Ok, now I am starting to sound like an advertisement....oh well, get over it. I just figured that a lot of people could use this also. It is a windows program... I still have to find a decent one for linux. Any ideas?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

The Iceman Cometh
    Great find! I don't do much work with the metric system, but I have many friends in other countries who need things in metric. I generally use the Windows XP Power Calculator (part of the XP PowerToys) to do conversions, but this is great for people who do not have Windows XP or do not want to further endorse Microsoft by using their programs.

AJ

lol, thanks for posting this. I remember you saying something about being annoyed with the conversion crap in a pm, so I'm sure this program is a lifesaver for ya. Hehe, again, thanks for posting. I need one myself.

Banned
    This is great, going to help me with some school work, thanx souleman.

Oh I'm real lazy I use my wife she knows she is not from the states LOL
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Hell, I AM in the US, and have been all of my life, and after taking many classes through high school and college, I tend to wonder WHY IN THE HELL do we NOT use the metric system? A base-10 system of measure...what could be easier? Figuring out how many millimeters in a decimeter or a kilometer for that matter is easy....factors of ten, yeah? Tell me how many quarters of an inch are in a mile without whipping out a calculator or a scratch paper to do it would really impress AND mortify me...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Ourobors>
    12 inches /foot
    5280 feet/ mile
    so 63360 inches per mile....
    so 253440 1/4 inches per mile....

Are you impressed and mortified yet? But why would you want to know quarter inches per mile? That is like knowing 1/4 cm's per kilometer... yeah its 400000, but who cares?
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Wow! Thanks so much as I have been looking for something like this for about 4 weeks now. I do alot of biz over sea and this will help a lot. It is no fun talking to someone online and having to stop for 5 mins to look in a book to see how many of this is the same as how many of those. Thanks again.

Zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]