IE 5.5 problem plzz help

Thread: IE 5.5 problem plzz help

Unhappy IE 5.5 problem plzz help

[gloworange]hello friends[/gloworange]

i was using IE 5.5 ,, lately i had developed some problem,, when i used to try and open a link in a new window then my broswer refused to oblige me and on top of it ,, none of the webpages could be saved,, when i used to select save asfrom the file menu

[glowpurple]finally i installed IE 6 , and this problem ended but i'm still clueless as to how it happened??????[/glowpurple]

anyone having any idea is truly welcome
    thanx in advance
    vpandiya

HackMania,
    What may have happened is the the urlmon.dll( or other dll's) was/were not correctly registered. When you installed IE6 and reboot it probably registered itself. I will leave it to you to figure out how to re-register dll files.
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

Question

thanx captfb,, for ur info,,,
    but i 'm still in the dark that what do u mean by registering the file,, and how suddenly it got unregistered????
    can u throw some light on how to register it?

[glowpurple]thanx in advance[/glowpurple]
    vpandiya

my IE screwed up 2 i switched 2 netscape and now using opera my advice browse with opera its super fast IE just sucks
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

I had the problem you describe above w/IE 6.0 -I rolled back to 5.0 and the problem went away. When I installed c# I had to upgrade to IE 6 and that install properly registered the dlls and <ctrl>-N worked.

to register a dll do regsvr32 <dllName>

Opera rocks -fastest broswer I've seen in a long time.
    Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

HackMania,
    See dspeidel's comments. I have seen this problem many times in the "field". Basically what happens is that the registry on your machines has an improper value pointing to an incorrect location of urlmon.dll. When you re-register it those values got correctly replaced. See http://support.microsoft.com/view/tn.asp?kb=281679 for more information. You may also want to read up on the registry and its role within Windows. I hope this help. Cheers.
    captfb
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

Banned
    I myself would just make a clean un-install of IE, and then re-install it.

not to put too fine a point on it...but a "clean" uninstall of IE would require an uninstall of windows...as bill says...they're "integrated"...there are some progs out there that that will sort of do it..and apparently win2k sp3 will allow choosing "alternatives" but right now you're kind of stuck with it...you don't have to use it...but you have to "have" it...

as for how it got mangled...well it is windows after all...hehe...actually could be many things...corrupted dll...dll replaced by an older one from a recently installed prog...incomplete windows update...any number of things...using regserv32 is a good fix...if you know what the offending dll is...which is often not an easy thing to determine...

your fix was the easiest and fastest...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson