Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning your temp.internet files launching a virus/trojan

cleaning your temp.internet files launching a virus/trojan

I thought i post this warning cos we all know about email-viri,but what about launching new undetected virus/trojans?

Open the folder Temp.internet files and select all then delete them[ your temp.internet files]will launch unknown or new viri and trojan{whendownloaded during surfing the web]![even the latest updates might not be enough to protect you]

DAMAGE is done........no way to clean[repair]and whitout firewall they own you!

So be carefull!!!!!!!after surfing high risk sides........you may wait a while cleaning your temp.internet files.!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Banned

We need more info, such as:

Where did you hear of this?
    Which IE versions does it affect?
    What sites cause this?
    How can we stop it?

Are you just lying and making a scene?

Modify

Not a problem if you modify (fresh lines at the bottom...wouldn't want to f*** up your Soundblaster...) autoexec.bat to state :

Deltree /y C:\Windows\Temp
    MD C:\Windows\Temp

Deltree /y C:\Windows\History
    MD C:\Windows\History

Deltree /y C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files (I forget how this is truncated, find out for yourself)
    MD C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files (Truncated)

Deltree /y C:\Windows\Cookies
    MD C:\Windows\Cookies

Point being, DOS(reduced) will delete the above folders and create them anew during boot, thus exonerating Windows from executing any latent files.

This works through W98se and below.

As a side note..."Shut down and restart in MS-DOS mode...then type 'del C:\windows\cookies\index.dat

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Hi mom!
    The files that are in your "Temporary Internet Files" or any other cache have already been executed on your machine. Owning a good antivirus program that offers protection against new and unknown virussus (Norton, for example, calls it 'Bloodhound') besides their normal antivirus protection, is still the preferred protection. Deleting your files is mopping up after the accident.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Re: We need more info, such as:

2 years ago i had 1 unknown virus after i cleaned my temp. internet files.

My screen jumped voor maybe 0,25 sec just like a short power loss.
    i did a full system scan with also the scanner set....scan unknown virus[avx scanner]

found poss. unknown virus multiple copies.

couldn t repair or delete them.

damage done....format c:/q..........fdisk /mbr

2weeks ago strange thing after surfing warez.Cleaning up temp internet files....firewall alert????????
    blocked it.
    full system scan NORTON anti virus 2001 bloodhound max.........nothing detected[since i have a router with nat no allerts so i did a system scan]

online scan with trend.com

after updating the online scanner marking c.............js gigger a[with firewall allert!!????????see above]

restart your pc to clean/delete

did a second online scan no more js gigger a was found

i never open attach.in mail and always fully updated auto protect always on.win98 fully updated and patched

so it must have 1 file in temp. internet files

[did
    norton windoctor found no error registry tracker nothing changed]

so next time i will wait and do after a full system scan and online scan some cleaning
    cheers and good bye

The Iceman Cometh
    I have received a few viruses via web sites (CollegeClub was notorious for housing different viruses on their web server... they finally got the idea to upgrade their virus scanner...) but my Norton AV always detects them as soon as they start to get copied into my Temporary Internet Files. They are immediately quarantined and then cleaned. I have only been infected with one virus in the last 15 years, and that was because my server was having problems and didn't distribute the latest virus definitions. If you have a good virus scanner and keep it up to date, you should have absolutely no problems. Maybe, instead of using an online scanner, you should purchase a software package for your computer to ensure you don't get hit again.

AJ

Maybe, instead of using an online scanner, you should purchase a software package for your computer to ensure you don't get hit again.

AJ [/B][/QUOTE]

i use norton anti virus 2001 retail fully updated[now also seen in above post thx]
    cheers and good bye

I always do this anyways to free up space on my hard drive. I never knew Temporary Internet Files could launch virii though.

Only after...

Originally posted here by Guus
    The files that are in your "Temporary Internet Files" or any other cache have already been executed on your machine. Owning a good antivirus program that offers protection against new and unknown virussus (Norton, for example, calls it 'Bloodhound') besides their normal antivirus protection, is still the preferred protection. Deleting your files is mopping up after the accident.
    But that's only the case if the user executes the viral file, yeah? Most "stealth" virus files take residence in the 'Temp' type folders...
    Therefore, clean the system before (or during) reboot, and the zero length and otherwise masked viral files will be expunged.
    This method requires a reboot after every download of suspect (.exe, .bat, .inf, etc) files...but hey, it has worked for me so far....

Thoughts?

Ouroboros

simple soultion. Set IE to empty temp files at close

Add this line to your autoexec.bat

DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

That will delete all temp files at start