Thread: User profile counter

Banned

User profile counter

Hey All,

It's not really a bug but something I noticed...
    I was checking cwk9's profile and ment to hit home and hit refresh instead.
    The counter for "user's profile views xxx" went up one.
    I figured I'd check and everytime you hit refresh, the counter goes up.
    Also, if you "blitz" the refresh button (click on it continously without stop) the counter jumps 5+ counts.

Just thought I'd point this out...

Edit: Maybe, JP can set it so that the profile count will only increase 1 per day per user?
    (ie: I check cwk9's profile 3 times today but only counts 1) Just a suggestion...

btw, cwk9, your welcome for increasing your count jk!

Banned
    Haha. I used to go to this site that had the top 10 most active users. It did this by counting page views. I inserted the HTML refresh code in my profile and pointed it at the URL of my profile so it would go in a constant loop and keep adding to my page views. I opened a couple browsers, walked away, and byt the end of the day I was on the top 10 most active users list. Haha. Good times.

Haha. I used to go to this site that had the top 10 most active users. It did this by counting page views. I inserted the HTML refresh code in my profile and pointed it at the URL of my profile so it would go in a constant loop and keep adding to my page views. I opened a couple browsers, walked away, and byt the end of the day I was on the top 10 most active users list. Haha. Good times.
    And JP, if your fixing that refresh problem, why don't you add code so that the counter doesn't increment when a user is checking their own profile.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Banned
    I bumped this tread since it has some importance now with the top10 viewed profiles...

There's still nothing to keep the person from registering a dummy account and THEN doing it. I say we do away with the page views for profiles altogether. It would help make the front page's left column left bloated too.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency