Thread: Windows 2000 Scan disk problem

Windows 2000 Scan disk problem

I have a problem running the scan disk at work on our Compac Presario computer. Using windows 2k. Everytime I try to run it is says it keeps restarting 10 times. Cause another application is writing to the system. Anyone know how to fix this cause I need to run scan disk so I can defrag. Due to the errors I can't run scan disk.

Try flashing over a new Bios to it, Compaq has their own way of doing things check their site for a bios update unless it is current may not know how to handle W2k.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

or u could find a win95/98 box and copy the scandisk.exe from that to a boot-floppy and run it on the win2k machine. Unless the win2k box is running NTFS.
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

have u tried bootin up in to safe mode and running scandisk just a thought
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

ArchNixx,
    You may want to open up taskmanager and see what is running in the background. Try killing all the active processes that you do not need to have running before you run scandisk. I would also follow prodikals advice!
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

Banned
    Use a 98 boot disk w/ tools. I have a raw image of a bootdisk that has most DOS tools on it. You can ScanDisk & Defrag from the C:\ otherwise ensure no programs are running, and temporarily cut your network connection...

often the restarting is due to av software which is always "checking" files...this can cause problems...and as fakeboy mentioned ...network connections (including cable/dsl connections) can also be a problem

i'd be highly suspicious of running win98 scandisk on an ntfs drive...don't know 100% that it would be a prob cause it never occured to me to do it...but seems to me it might be a big one...and if your running win2k and not using ntfs...why???...scandisk becomes somewhat obsolete when you upgrade to ntfs...it's self repairing...and way less prone to problems in the first place...to say nothing of more secure and usefull....
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

At least zigar has a cluee. Just disable everything and turn off all unneeded services and run a scandisk....
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Aside from disabling your Antivirus software and terminating running programs, you also might want to consider making your swapfile a static size.

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance Options -> Change (virtual memory)

Select the drives where your swap file is stored. Set the initial size = max size. The value there should be to be safe, >= 2 * physical memory.

As a brief explanation, I used to have the defragmenter do that to me alot and the reason was, as the defragger read more drive information, it used more memory and the windows would then swap memory to disk to free up more memory(and write to disk) and then boom the defragger would restart, ad infinitum...You should also get a mild performance boost of doing this as well... (but could cause problems if your vm is too small to swap something \out of memory)...

Hope that helps,

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    If you have M$ Office installed, go into task man and kill the findfast program. This is part of Office and it scans your drive every <insert time here> to catalouge your office files. It has stopped my defrags before. If you start in safe mode you should have no problems.
    x