Desktop/LX Amethyst
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop/LX Amethyst

Banned

Desktop/LX Amethyst

Bump Lindows, This Program being released by www.lycoris.org looks like the Shiznit. So guys what do you think about it? From what I see, it looks like it will be released on the new HP line. Okay, can someone tell me where this upraising of unknown OSes is coming from? Just out of nowhere Microsoft has 30 competitors. I wonder what will have to be standardized on an OS to make it user friendly, and acceptable by the masses. Well, I think next year is going to be full of suprises. I'm also open to checking out new programs, and if one of these OS's pass by my Girl, then I may have a new OS on my power-house. She won't touch my linux machine, because she claims. "Windows is easy... just leave the computer alone..." Yeah Right....

The Iceman Cometh
    Personally, I'm pretty happy with Red Hat. There are tons of Linux flavors out there, and this is just another one touting to be the best. Honestly, I've seen complete newbies get Red Hat up and running with minimal work (same with Mandrake). I don't see what this new OS can offer that is going to be that different from the other Linux companies out there. Just my 2 cents.

AJ

Banned
    I'm running Red Hat 6.0 on a HP Pavilion 6360. The only thing I run into is. Which has the best features for power users? and the reason I posted is to let everyone see the other OS that is being pushed. I can't believe manufactures are pushing Lindows & Desktop/LX. How many people are going to buy PC's with OS's they never used? Is Lindows a version of Linux? and if so... does that mean WalMart will start to carry Linux Software?

I've been running Lycoris on a test system at work, seems to work OK for me. Getting other people to use it however is another task, first word out is where is MS Word here try this, but other then peoples person tastes it is stable on the network.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

On a side-note, Wal-Mart has been carrying Linux software for years. I can remember seeing Mandrake distributions back to 7.0. Just a bit of trivia.

-the eeshman

Banned
    eeshman (Yes you are right, but they discontinued because of low sales.)

Palemoon (We can't get anyone in our office to even try StarOffice)

str34m3r
    FakeBoy > RedHat 6.0???

I sure hope you don't have that thing connected to the internet. There's no way you could keep that sucker secure. Ever heard of RedHat 6.2? 7.0? 7.1? 7.2? 7.3? At least they're still releasing patches for those versions. And as avdven said, I'm happy with RedHat (I'm using 7.3) and I'm not looking for another OS.

P.S. I just don't trust those Lindows people with their theft and subsequent resale of open source code. "Yeah, we'll release the source code eventually" - sure you will.

Lycoris have a good premise behind them but unfortunatley it dosnt quite make it. The main premise of it is that sotware will be easy to install. The only problem behind it is the fact that RPMs for it are not being fequently released. I used it for about a month or two.

Banned
    So when is the AO Group going to create their own OS? With the brain cells in the organization, I'm sure you guys could build an operatng system "AOOS" Anti-Online Operating System..

Lol.

We would need a CVS server etc to make that work!! As you know alot of us are just plain lazy so it would take someone to organise it