Thread: networking

networking

im new at the whole computer thing but i am willing to learn ( if u can believe me) and i just got into programming and i already know my hardware but i was wondering where should i start with networking. i have basic knowledge on how tcp/ip works and different topologies but what's a good thing to concentrate on? like how firewalls work or frame relay packets? i dont know so im asking for help from all the AO people out there. thanks in advance

Start out in the tutorials forum, read up on networking there, it should help out. Other than reading, I think actually attempting (and sometimes failing, but still learning) is the best way to get started. Get the hardware if you dont already have it, and network two or three computers. Most computer stores sell basic two computer kits, pick one up, they have documentation on how to set it up.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Good call, Syini666. I found the best way for me to learn networking is to really work with the hardware. Get yourself a hub and work on networking 2 machines together, then move up from there. Add more nodes to your network, perhaps move from a hub to a switch or (even better) a router.

Try and get a job on a network. For example, many schools have computer labs available after hours, and they usually have someone working there to make sure all goes well. Occasionally, you'll have to troubleshoot some simple network problems. Great experience.

If you can't afford a lot of hardware and don't want a job, some certification guides (like for the CCNA or Network+) contain software that mimic network hardware and nodes. Some are pretty cool. I know that the Sybex book for the CCNA has this.

Tutorials are also a great resource for more specialized topics. Good luck!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Tutorials are great but the problem is that you end up learning a bit here and a bit there. Some times it’s nice to have a book that has everything laid out from a to z. See if you can find a copy of “Cisco networking academy program First-Year companion guide"
    Not the most interesting book but full of info.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

If u are looking for tutorials , i would recommend www.lameindustries.org.They have alot of things there on networking.But if you are looking for a book , I would recommend Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 21 days.It is a great book.Or like cwk9 said "“Cisco networking academy program First-Year companion guide".Thats all.
    -N
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Ninja Code Monkey
    I believe the best way to start out is to do it yourself. Grab yourself a couple of boxes (new ones that are barebones are pretty cheap...otherwise go to re-pc or similar shop) and a home networking kit.

Then just pick up the manuals for the operating systems you have and plod away. Grabbing a copy of the mcse network admin study guide can be helpful and give you an idea of the basic windows network services/administration. Also grabbing the same type of guide for linux/unix and putting a linux box on your home network will teach you alot. An added bonus is the guides sometimes come with classes on cd.

Tutorials are helpful, but they leave alot out.

If you need further help you can always come into IRC and ask away....just click the link below.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I think the best way to learn is actually do things.

My experience: Buy some books, try books about LAN/WAN topography, also check the CISCO configuration and specs. guides and some of the guides distributed by Cabletron or HP.

While you read, try to set up a small intranet in your house, depending on your number of computers and hardware configuration try to install a Linux box as server. If your ethics (or wallet) allow to install a Windows 2000 or XP server, try it and instal IIS.

Set up a Proxy Server (preferably in Linux, is more complex and exciting)

Once there you may try to get a little more experience in DNS, Gateways and other stuff.

After a while you may see yourself putting your hands on your school's or office's routers, Lan switchs, and channel splidters.

Good luck

networking

First off, I'm assuming we are talking about ethernet and not anything else. Personally, when I first started to get into networking a few years back I spent alot of time at this site

http://www.ethermanage.com/ethernet/ethernet.html

It is by a guy that works for the University of Texas in Austin named Charles Spurgeon. These guys have been at it for a long time and they pretty much know their stuff.

Charles Spurgeon also has a book published by O'Reilly called Ethernet: The Definitive Guide

Its not too bad on the pocketbook and it really breaks it down.

Ethernet and TCP/IP are great places to get your feet wet but if you ever get bored with it, which I can't imagine how one could, and you want to get into WANs, which, personally, I love, try starting here
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...c/introwan.htm

It's a pretty straight forward starting point. And feel free to ask me anything anytime. Because of the environment I work in I get a chance to mess with alot of stuff most people in the private sector and/or industry don't get to mess with. That can be both a good thing or a bad thing sometimes.

read on,
    nocilis

The main problem with reading tutorials is that you can't be certain whether or not the person who wrote it has a clue what they are doing. I think a very good way to learn is to get a couple of good reputable books. The Cisco Press books are very good.