Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Second Edition

Banned
    Talking about beating up Bill Gates...

My favority scene from the SouthPark movie was when the General asked to see Gates and Gates said that Windows was stable... until the General shot him in the head.

You must admit however, the guy knows how to run a multimillion dollar business.

Lol, true tyger, and thanks a lot tyger. I'm telling you, him and hid nerds need to be roughed up. And about that WinXP second edition, when is that gonna come out? I was just gonna get a new comp but I don't want first edition if I'm going to find the second edition comes out in 2 months and I have to shell out $200 for it.

Oh yeah, and watch that microsoft life cycle policy thing come into play, watch them stop supporting every other OS when 2nd edition comes out.

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    hey streamer, I gave up defending MS when my windows crashed without reason 2 days ago. I didn't even install anything new, nothing at all, then I rebooted and scandisk came up with about 2000 errors, I got tired of pushing enter so I had to reinstall, and why? Well, for no reason so far as I know. I am damn pissed, I lost so damn much, I have to reinstall and get my favourites back. I lost a lot in that crash, now I just hate MS.
    Scandisk (or chkdsk) came up with lots of errors? that would suggest to me that you were having a bit of a HDD problem, which really wouldn't be Windows fault...

However, if you get negative points for liking or disliking an OS, that's daamn stupid.... It should be about how well you use your OS of choice, not what your OS of choice is...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

I have just had a look round the net for info on this Second Edition thing, Some site say it will happen others disagree.
    khakisrule: yeah it probally was a hard disk error, Why not treat yourself to a nice new big one! I agree on waiting for the second editon thought, but hopefully Microsoft will release an update to upgrade the first version of XP

I'm getting a new $2800 comp in less than a month. New 100-gig h/d as well. But when this error came up, there were no more \windows or \program files folders, the errors were all in folders called \directory2 and etc. all the way up to directory twelve hundred something and every directory has 2 errors in each file for some reason. It was insane so I gave up an re-formatted.

str34m3r
    Well, I wish you a lot of luck getting your linux installation working and secure. It's a great OS, but there is quite a learning curve. I think you'll find that the amount of effort you spend learning linux will be well worth the investment. There are always a few of us linux bigots floating around here that will be glad to help out if you run into problems.

Banned
    Khakis... I hope your building it... I still regret having Dell build my PC for $4,000.00. I would have only paid $2,300. if I only built it myself, but at that time I had school and work full time, and didn't have any free time to myself.... I'm still trying to sell this and build another... This is a Dell Dimension 8100 w/ Pentium 4 1.3 GHz, 1024 MB (4 x 256) RAM, 21" Monitor, Altec Lansing Speakers, Turtle Beach Sound Card, Nvidia GeForce3 Ti500, DVD, CD-RW.... I need a DVD-RW real bad....

Hi Khakisrule,
    I don't hate you. Here's a couple or links for you to check out. www.mandrakelinux.com
    www.redhat.com
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Lol, um preacherman, 2 things. I have had red hat for almost 3 months now, I have it installed on a crappy computer, but I still use it. And why would you hate me?

And fakeboy, I'm getting it custom made online. And streamer, I got red hat with a book, so it hasn't been very hard to learn so far.

what the hell is this!!!??? can they control piracy????

Service Pack 1 For Windows XP To Include Antitrust Tweaks

Beta testing of Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP is expected to start within the next few weeks. SP1 will not only include bug fixes, security updates and new technologies, but also a number of changes which - according to Microsoft executives - will make Microsoft comply with a settlement that was agreed upon with the Justice Department and nine states back in November last year. Nine other states and the District of Columbia are continuing with the antitrust litigation, so the settlement hasn't been approved yet.

Under the settlement, Microsoft must allow consumers or PC makers to hide user access to so-called middleware: Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine and Windows Messenger.

The language used in the settlement is: "enable or remove access to each Microsoft Middleware Product." So, Microsoft doesn't have to remove any middleware products, they just have to be hidden from the end user. This means simply that any Start menu, desktop, or taskbar icons to those applications will be removed, leaving the applications themselves on the system where they have always been.

When you install SP1, a new entry will be added to the Start menu and to the Add or Remove Programs applet in Control Panel called Set Program Access and Defaults. This control will offer four different choices:

Computer Manufacturer Configuration
    Microsoft Windows
    Non-Microsoft
    Custom
    Computer Manufacturer Configuration

This option won't have any impact on existing users. It is designed to restore the middleware configuration back to the default setting offered by the PC manufacturer. So for example, if a PC manufacturer has a deal with AOL, choosing this configuration could hide Internet Explorer, and set AOL as the default Web browser.

Microsoft Windows

This option would use all Microsoft's middleware, but according to comments made by Jim Cullinan, lead project manager for Windows XP, it will not hide any other (non-Microsoft) applications.

Non-Microsoft

This option is for the die-hard anti-MS crowd (sorry, couldn't resist)... It will hide all Microsoft middleware.

Custom

With this option you can choose your own defaults. All middleware can be selected/deselected as you see fit.

Fighting Piracy

According to Microsoft, 90 percent of pirated Windows XP installations use a single volume license key stolen from a large Microsoft customer. Microsoft will make it impossible for people using this key to install SP1 or any future updates available from the Windows Update Web site.

From what little information is available it seems that Microsoft isn't going to "expire" (disable) Windows XP installations using this key, but people using it won't be able to get any future updates.
    \"Knowledge is the beginning of something you don\'t know.\"