Thread: Hotmail's Virus Scanner...

Hotmail's Virus Scanner...

I was browsing the net today and found this out. Just thought I'd let everyone that trusted Hotmail's Virus Scanner (like me).

Hotmail's Virus Scanner did not find the Emmanuel virus that was released in November 2000. Hotmail's Virus Scanner (McAfee) is around 6 versions behind and according to McAfee, Microsoft refuses to update Hotmail's Virus Scanner.

not exactly...

i "think" the report you read was dated January 28, 2001, 4:00 PM PT

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-527642.html?legacy=zdnn

the latest i found was..

http://www.theregus.com/content/56/25389.html

Posted: 06/26/2002 at 10:10 EST

We understand Hotmail's protection is updated on Thursday nights, so hopefully things will be put right soon. In fairness Hotmail is one of the few Web-based email services to have any virus protection
    but regardless...well just goes to show...never trust anyone but yourself to keep yourself virus free...(and fgs never trust m$...hehe)
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Angry

A few months ago, I looked in the Hotmail Inbox and found a copy of Hybris.
    A special email from hahaha@sexyfun.net
    Why wasn't that picked up?

Kwiep
    I have got about 30 times a Yaha internet worm last month. Some files aren't even scanned, for instance if they got a double extention like blabla.mp3.scr. I tested that with a really old virus. Not this Yaha thing, it's only 1 month old.
    Double Dutch

With a free online email service, I don't exactly anticipate the greatest of AV checking, nor do I anticipate the spam filtering to really work. Consider the corp that maintains Hotmail. Now consider the OS's they provide. Do they really seem concerned with security matters for their end users?

In all seriousness though, it is nice to know if they are keeping up. Thanks for the post and the info. If really concerned about their AV abilities, it is recommended you keep yer own up to date..

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Here's my new e-mail address: goddamn****ingmicrosoft@****microsoft.com

Sugesstion: get you own virus scanners. I suggest the award winning Kapersky Labs Anti-virus solution for max. accuracy.

Ya it said something about ZDNet but I forgot where I found it.