Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking smart questions

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone, I'm blushing that anyone should think something that I've written should be made sticky.

Jethro: I know 1337 speak isn't very common (which is a good thing), but I thought I'd mention it because when it is used it makes text almost impossible to read.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

well done pwaring... I pointed out a few corrections in that PM I sent..
    Maybe you can get Negative to edit your post for you ?

I'll be updating the tutorial sometime later this week, my net access is playing up at the moment.

Stuff that needs doing:
    - Correcting all spelling/grammar mistakes (I've corrected all the ones people sent me, but shoot me a PM if you find any more after the update)
    - Add a small bit about paragraphs and line breaks (instead of mashing text together in one big mess)
    - Add a bit about smilies and not using them too much

After this I should be adding another tutorial on either PHP, Perl or HTML.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Agreed, this post should be sticky, great job waring you might actually save us all a few hours of answering dumb questions.
    There\'s no sense in being Pessimistic...it would never work anyway.

Banned
    Nice tutorial, Pwaring. Hopefully, this will help a lot of the newbies with their questions.

Kwiep
    The tutorial is great. There only is one problem i think most "lamers" won't read it, because they're only interested in 'how to hack hotmail' and not about reading a 6ft tekst about how to ask questions.
    Again the tutorial is great
    Double Dutch

Wonderfully said pwaring! I wish that this could be passed out to more than just the people here. I get so many questions, that sometimes I just start avoiding people, or get rude so that they will leave me alone. Not nice, but hey, you have to draw the line at some point.

Like I said, great Tut!

Originally posted here by neel
    The tutorial is great. There only is one problem i think most "lamers" won't read it, because they're only interested in 'how to hack hotmail' and not about reading a 6ft tekst about how to ask questions.
    Neel definitely has got the point here. It doesn't help to make the thread sticky if the target group of people still don't read it. A table of contents at the beginning would be good and a little summary paragraph of all the things before it.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

This is good stuff Pwaring. Should definitely help out lost/confused newbies, I hope it finds it's rightful place on AO.

props to ya!
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Great job pwaring. Keep up the good work
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty