Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Asking smart questions

GREAT!!!!

This should be given out to every new member to be read and signed before being allowed to post.

Question Posting Stipulations

While posting "stupid" questions is a waste of your time, you have to understand that sometimes it's not intentional. Being a member of the site for all of 2 days, I am COMPLETELY overwhelmed with the amount of information that is on this site.

As a Technical Writer myself, the format and presentation of the information provided is just as important as the context when it comes to educational mapping. My point is this, if you want newbies to read the "Rules and Regulations" before they start posting questions, it needs to be completely obvious from the home page. Since this is where we are directed when we first log into the site, it is all to easy to miss the "Discussion Forum" link.

By posting to that main page I think newbies just start asking questions before they really know how to navigate and participate effectively in the chat community. As a result, threads end up in the wrong places, "Stupid" questions get asked, etc. If at all possible can you just trap them? Make it so all they can possibly do when they log in is read those turtorials prior to posting in the forums.

I've been reading a lot of posts and I'm impressed with the level of knowledge of the people that participate. But, I feel an unwelcome vibe towards people that are starting out and trying to learn, i.e, "We want challenging questions."

I agree with your points about researching and trying to find an answer before you start, but what if the answer you receive doesn't make sense to you? Isn't this the place where you come to get help? This can be intimidated now and I'm reluctant to post for fear of sounding "Stupid."

Is it my misconception that people from all levels of knowledge are welcome here, or does the term "Newbie" apply only to the amount of "intelligent" posts you have made, or lack of thereof?

Please Advise.
    \"TechWriter\"

\"All dogs don\'t go to Heaven\" (Even if they only have 2 legs)

Re: Question Posting Stipulations

I've been reading a lot of posts and I'm impressed with the level of knowledge of the people that participate. But, I feel an unwelcome vibe towards people that are starting out and trying to learn, i.e, "We want challenging questions."
    I suppose some (but by no means all) senior members do take a dim view of newbies, although that's probably down to the fact that a lot of new members do ask stupid questions. Sure, it's stereotyping a bit, but that's what happens in the real world.

Yes, challenging questions are fun, because usually everyone learns something with those, but I have no objections to answering what to me are simple questions (e.g. something along the lines of "how do I nest tags correctly in XHTML?"), so long as they are not questions that I can find the answers to at the top of a google search or in an existing thread.

I agree with your points about researching and trying to find an answer before you start, but what if the answer you receive doesn't make sense to you? Isn't this the place where you come to get help? This can be intimidated now and I'm reluctant to post for fear of sounding "Stupid."
    If you don't understand a previous answer, there's nothing wrong with asking again - just so long as you mention that you've already looked at previous threads so people don't think you're being lazy.

Is it my misconception that people from all levels of knowledge are welcome here, or does the term "Newbie" apply only to the amount of "intelligent" posts you have made, or lack of thereof?
    Anyone of any level of knowledge is welcome here - everyone has to start as a newbie sometime! Although "newbie" generally refers to someone who is new to the site and hasn't been around very long, if you post lots of "stupid" questions you will probably also be labelled as a newbie too.

Hope I've cleared up all the points.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I hope that the people concerned get the message.

Well said pwarang.
    Things that don\'t kill you make you stronger !

Hi all,
    Good article,this means I will have to re write half a dozen of my already long winded question.

F
    PS Lady Haxxor ere we talking here about history repeating itself in a secluded Welsh Valley,are we talking about a lady of flowers and Alison getting it wrong!!!!

I have been doing computer support for over ten years and though what has been written here is obvious when you are helping someone else with their problems, but can be forgotten when dealing with your own. A reminder is always a good thing.

Thanks again for the straight forwardness (word?). It looks like the whole site is mostly like this and that is refreshing.

great one, explains soo much.
    thnx for this

FAQ

PW,

An articulate and superbly written tutorial that is much needed to educate new users on how to think for themselves to obtain the answers to their questions, without a new jerk reaction to immediately request help the moment that they are stumped. It is fundamental to stress the point that the same questions are asked time and time again, and the answers to those questions are available at one's fingers if one bothered to look.

It's a mixture of experience and having resources, like this one, available to hand to help guide users into finding the answers on their own. If a user has done his or her research and is still perplexed then it is essential that the user phrases the question in a way that provides the necessary level of detail and will elicit a response.

For me, the subject line, punctuation and grammar are fundamental because each indicates that the user has sat down and put more than the minimum modicum of thought into the question.

Rather than flame stupid questions i.e. ones asked without the corresponding level of personal research, could users reply posting the link to this tutorial?

Note: I remember having a problem with ZoneAlarm not allowing certain applications access to the 'net when I upgraded to Win XP *unless* I allowed those apps server rights (!) .. yeah, sure I want to do that. After the initial frustration wore off, I used that latter day version of the Oracle of Delphi, and Goolged the answer. It will come as no surprise that many other people experienced the same problem and it was down to allowing Generic Host Process access to the 'net. All fine and dandy, but what on earth is the Generic Host Process? Rinse and repeat the above process. Not only did I solve my problem but I put my mind at ease by informing myself of what the process was that I was allowing access, and why it needed access.

Good work, PW! The time and effort lovingly put into this document has not been in vain.

Regards,
    Riotigirl
    \"Don\'t worry. I don\'t have low self-esteem. It\'s a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else\".

Hey RiotGirl, welcome to this site.

Will you please look at the date of posts in the future: 09-12-2003
    I don't think anyone cares about a reply to such an old post.

Enjoy your stay....
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Actually el-half, I didn't catch the flashing date myself untill I got to the first or second reply.

It was actually a very good read and some things mentioned in the tutorial are prevelent today, and should be read/reread by some of our members.

Personally, I don't mind something like this being bumped up occassionally, as it is helpful to even some of us old farts.

BTW- Welcome to 'AO', Riotgirl.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown