View Poll Results: Do you think MS is really logging these files for their benifit?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course evil MicroSoft is logging it all!

43 65.15%
  • I guess there\\\'s some reason behind it...

18 27.27%
  • It\\\'s for our (the user\\\'s) benifit!

0 0%
  • Of course not!

5 7.58%

Thread: .net Studio is it worth it

.net Studio is it worth it

Hi All,

I have Visual Studio 6.0 (all 5 disks 3-for IDEs 2 for MSDN) and I have the oppurtunity to upgrade it to Visual Studio .net. I would be purchasing it through a corporate partner. It would cost me ~$500. I've priced it on line and in stores. The price is much better but is the gain in functionality worth it?

Thanks,
    -D

yes yes yes, and again yes

I'd say you should obviously go for it... because I think .net bring a new revolution to the programming world including C#.

C#? What does it bring that people don't already have? It's too freaking bulky. I recently saw something that compared a C++ code to a C# code that did the same thing, and the C# code was 17 lines larger. This is to do the equivalent. So, nah, I won't be wasting my time learning the language.

Originally posted here by jehnx
    C#? What does it bring that people don't already have? It's too freaking bulky. I recently saw something that compared a C++ code to a C# code that did the same thing, and the C# code was 17 lines larger. This is to do the equivalent. So, nah, I won't be wasting my time learning the language.
    but such comparisons can be biased by what the author is out to "prove". i've seen competitions to create the longest "hello world" programs that are HUGE. just because sombody says "these two programs do the same thing" does not mean that the two are both created the optimum way for each language.

furthermore, it could be that the author just wasnt an expert at C#, but knew C++ quite well, so he thought he was creating equaly optimised code, when in reality he just didnt know that he wasnt.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

IMHO the gain of true inheritance for all objects is worth price of admission.
    Syntactically .NET is a little different (better - easier?) than VB6.
    As far as the C# discussion goes I have read (but can't remember where) that little more than 3% of all users will benefit from ALL of the improvements of C# as compared to C.

good luck,

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm personally extremely happy with VS.NET. I have a MSDN Universal subscription and received all the betas as well as the final product. One of the main reasons I like it is the ability to incorporate other programs into the IDE (such as InstallShield Developer 7 and Rational XDE (I used to use Rational Rose, but upgraded to XDE when I heard it incorporated into the .NET IDE)). It's very nice to finally be able to do all of my development in one single environment, switching from language to language and being able to have one project which handles everything I would normally do with 5 independent programs.

AJ

I like the Idea but i dont think microsoft was the first to think of a runtime that you could stick other code into in.The new perl 6 will have the built in as wel,l and it has been said that the developers of perl 6 came up with the Idea first....But I think if your in a windows world and you want to stay then get it...but I can make wiget's that will work in windows a linux with out changing Languages.Like this

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe

use Tk;

$mw = MainWindow->new(-title => 'Perl\\Tk ');
    $mw->Label(-text => "This is a App Made with Perl and Tk")->pack;
    $mw->Button(-text => 'Exit', -command => sub {exit})->pack(-side => 'bottom');
    MainLoop;
    this will run with no mods on my linux box and windows box.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]