I am no MS suckup
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am no MS suckup

Banned

I am no MS suckup

I need to clear up what OS I use. People gimme negs for posting pro MS stuff, then posting pro linux stuff. It isn't the negs that I mind so much, but they start swearing and telling me I don't know crap about linux. Well, let me clear that up, I have been using red hat 7.2 for a little over 4 months now. I am no linux newbie. I simply like windows, its easy to use and widely supported. Just 'cause I stick up for them doesn't mean I love them and it certainly doesn't mean they're all I use. So next time you guys need to think a little before you start swearing at me fer no reason at all. Plus I can't use X with my rh distro 'cuz the computer I am using it on doesn't have the hard drive capacity, so that makes me want to use windows all the more. But when I get my new comp, I'll probably just make a seperate partition for rh. *fer isn't a typo

Re: I am no MS suckup

4 months? That doesn't exactly make you a veteran, but I assume you have had previous versions and distros?
    I just think Red Hat is better, because it never crashes and I can modify any part of it because it's open source. And it's free!

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    I need to clear up what OS I use. People gimme negs for posting pro MS stuff, then posting pro linux stuff. It isn't the negs that I mind so much, but they start swearing and telling me I don't know crap about linux. Well, let me clear that up, I have been using red hat 7.2 for a little over 4 months now. I am no linux newbie. I simply like windows, its easy to use and widely supported. Just 'cause I stick up for them doesn't mean I love them and it certainly doesn't mean they're all I use. So next time you guys need to think a little before you start swearing at me fer no reason at all. Plus I can't use X with my rh distro 'cuz the computer I am using it on doesn't have the hard drive capacity, so that makes me want to use windows all the more. But when I get my new comp, I'll probably just make a seperate partition for rh. *fer isn't a type

Re: I am no MS suckup

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Well, let me clear that up, I have been using red hat 7.2 for a little over 4 months now. I am no linux newbie.

I've been running RH on and off for 12 months now and I still consider myself a newbie. maybe I'm just a slow learner?

str34m3r
    It's always important to remember, no matter how much we learn, that we're always still newbies at some level. I've used linux off and on for several years, and then roughly 14 hours a day for the past year and a half, and there are still lots of things I don't know about it. And when it comes to Windows NT, 2000, and XP, there are even more things I don't know because I don't use them nearly as often. If I had a Windows question and I couldn't find the answer from someone else at work, I'd come home and send NTSA a PM because as far as I'm concerned, he's a windows guru. It's always important to know what you can and cannot do without help, and admit it. Then you go find someone who can help you.

Edit : In response to redgore's post: My definition of guru is different than yours. When I use the term guru, I am referring to someone who knows a heck of a lot about a topic, and is a lot more likely to be able to answer any questions that have me stumped.

You can never become a 'GURU' in any OS unless you are the creator of it. Ive been using linux for about half a year and i know enough to be competant at using it. Ive always been a M$ child I started on MS-DOS proceeded onto windows. I know enough to use them and even a bit more. Like i say noone is a GURU at anything

Banned

Re: Re: I am no MS suckup

Originally posted here by jethro
    And it's free!
    You think people pay for Windows? No one I know has, I'm still not sure how we gain the official disks...

Banned
    I'm a MS suckup, and I don't like Linux. There you go.

Actually, it's not that I don't like Linux. I like Windows (both 2k and XP Pro), it suits all my needs (and that is what the OS of your choice should be about); I don't have much Linux-experience (have tried Corel Linux once - that one sucked, Mandrake - only thing I liked about it was the 'XKill button' in KDE, allowing me to kill all the applications that didn't do what I wanted them to do, Redhat 7.2 - pretty stable, but I didn't like the looks of it, Redhat Skipjack - only a beta-version, so not representative, but didn't recognize my Radeon 8500), and I must say I liked its stability. It would be unfair of me to say that Linux sucks - I simply don't know how to make it stable, how to make it fit all my needs (and I am too lazy do read all those mans). I think I've come to the point though where I can make my Windows-box as stable as the average Linux-user can make his Linux-box.
    And I'll be the first one to admit that a decently managed Linux-box is more stable than a decently managed Windows-box. But then again: how many decent managers are there?

It's not because I don't like the Microsoft-policy, that I'm not going to use their products (and yes, I even pay for those products - I frankly don't like people who use MS warez, and then go shouting about how much MS sucks - some people actually have to work for a living).
    It's not because VolksWagen worked for the Nazis some 60 years ago, that I'm not gonna drive an Audi.

And I REALLY don't like Linux-newbies who think they're great because they discovered Linux and go bashing MS just because they managed to install Linux and learn its basics (even I know the basics). Besides, most of them are dual-booting.

PS: respect to those who actually are good at Linux, and are always willing to help people with their problems...you know who you are - you outsmart me...

Banned
    I found out most of my linux info from the book I got with my linux distro. And yes I have had linux distros before, zipslack and phatlinux and then winlinux.

I love windows, infact, you can just about go to the store blind folded, pick up a new hardware component, take it home, plug it in, boot up and away you go, (USUALY)whereas in linux it is not that easy (my personal opinion). As well, i know that linux is working on its user friendly aproach, but even with the KDE desktop and other desktop and windows managers, I still prefer the setup that Windows has. Windows is very easy to install and easy to use, I am not saying that linux is not. there are lots of things I dont like about the software that Microsoft develops, security, the time it takes to recognize and patch bugs, management of resources and more, but overall I actualy prefer Windows over linux, and I have used two distrobutions of linux. I love linux, dont get me wrong, but overall, I stil prefer windows.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Sorry if this comes out really irrelevantly but basically the way I see it, M$ *does* actually occasionally produce decent stuff; I only use a *nix-based system for work which is movie editing so I don't really know enough about the difference between OSes to make much of a critique but I know M$ works for me, it does the job, it is pretty low-maintenance as long as you keep up to date enough. What *sucks* about M$ is the whole apparent attitude behind the company, the fact that it's a successful company for the 'wrong' reasons [ethically speaking] involving misleading press releases and the buying out of competition. However while it's a good thing to criticise bad ethics, that shouldn't obstruct a path to practicality. I think that for users who like to feel really involved in their OS linux is great but if you just want a platform to run programs ff M$ can occasionally surpass itself. I like it, but perhaps that's through ignorance...!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem