Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardware problem (ps/2 mouse)

hardware problem (ps/2 mouse)

Hi, I was in the dolar store and purchased a computer mouse, it was a ps/2 mouse, but I only have space for a serial mouse, I dont have a ps/2 connector. So I got a friend to help me, he gave me a ps/2 to serial adapter, I just plug the mouse into this adapter, then plug the adapter in my serial port. But when I started the computer the mouse was not recognised. I thought since Windows has so much hardware suport it would be auto detected. But i did recive a error message in a dialoge box saying no mouse was found, and if i wanted to put in a ps/2 mouse that i need to turn off the computer. But the computer was off when i pluged it in, so useing my new microsoft internet keyboard pro, I opened up controll pannel then add remove hardware, Now keping in mine that my mouse is made by nikao (parts by design) i decided to let it search for hardware, it detected a problem with my mouse, now when i chose to manualy find my mouse, after having not suceeded with the cd rom for windows 98 se, i could not find nikao in the list of manufactures. But the mouse did not come with software, and it sais on the package it is windows compatible, and all the minimum requirements i have. So i searched google for the serial number, nothing was found, so i looked for their home page, after a few minute i found it, at www.nikao.net (how nice of them not to advertise their home page on the package). so when i got there, i noticed it is poorly designed web site (my opinion) so i began woundering about their quality. its a beautiful mouse and it is stamped by quality controll so it should work. I also took notic, that there was a picture of a keyboard in the background on the pacage, with nec writen on the top right, so i went to www.nec.com (took a wild guess) and it apears nec does not sell computer mice, furthermore nowhere on the nec site was the word nikao. Can anyone sugest a method for me to get my new mouse to work. it is a ps/2 mouse, i have a ps/2 to serial adapter.

sugestions?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

u need to gointo control panel and tell it, the mouse is serial, not ps2, u can maneuover in windows wiht the keyboard (cursor keys, tab and enter)

keep me updated
    preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

ok, I deleted all mice from my computer in controll pannel, system. I then shut down, pluged in the new mouse, then booted. I recived the message,

" Windows did not detect a mouse atatched to your computer, you can safely atatch a serial mouse now. To atatch a mouse to a ps/2 port you must power down"

So i started controll pannel, and add/remove new hardware, my device was not already in the list, so I chose to search, the device was not in the list. So i chose to select my mouse manualy, in the list of manufatures my manufacture, nikao was not there, so I chose the standard mouse type, then standard serial, I dont have a floppy or cd, it did not come with one, so next was my choice, and it said click finish, so i did and promply rebooted, nothing again, so i did the same process over again this time chooseing standard ps/2 and again rebooted and nothing, so i choose some sort of standard bus adapter thinking mayby that would work, again it did not work.

Any sugesations
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

ive never had any luck with those adapters unless they were there when i installed the os. i suppose that would mean theres a way to make them work but i don't think its worth the effort
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Not every PS2 mouse can be used with a serial adaptor.
    Many come with an adaptor and are advertised as PS2
    and serial compatible. Your mouse will only work as a
    PS2 mouse. Tough luck. You need a serial mouse, or a
    PS2 mouse that explicitly is capable of being adapted
    to a serial port.

Once you have the right type of mouse, windows will
    automatically find it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

hmm, oh well, for 3 dolars I got myself a decoration

Tomorow I am going mouse shoping, the mouse I was posting about in this thread only has 3 buttons, so tomorow i will look for one of those mice that have the 3 buttons plus the weel, The mouse I was replaceing is a Logitech First/Pilot Mouse serial M34, M35, C43

being that it only has two buttons and is a plain white, i want something more "spiffy". seeing that logitech seems prity well known, I figure I will problably look for a logitech or a microsoft, but do you ppl have a perfered manufacture that you like to use?

I think that logitech are good, and I just got a Microsoft Internet keyboard pro and I am very satisfied with it, I think that either Microsoft or Logitech would be a good choice, I will also look at the suported hardware for red hat, so as not to buy a mouse that is not suported. As for my new mouse, seeing it came from a buck store, and only cost 3 dolars (canadian) i didnt loose much, so I will hang it on my door.

Thank you for all your help ppl.

Depends what you want, really.

Strangely, MS hardware (mice, keyboards, joysticks etc.) are extremely robust, and last a lot longer than anything else. My MS mouse has survived a lot longer than the logitech mouse I was using before. Higher quality microswitches perhaps ?? But if you want value for money, then things like force feedback logitech mice are worth a try (if you have any software that supports force feedback).

Logitech mice are of good quality and have a 2 year garuntee of this (from logitech themselves) I am currently running win 98 and Redhat. My Logitech USB mouse was working from install.

str34m3r
    Logitech has a long reputation of making high quality computer peripherals, like mice and keyboards. They make good quality products and stand behind their work. They're also extremely well supported (even in linux) because logitech's products are so widespread.

(Wow, I just read what I wrote, and I sound more like a logitech sales rep than a computer junkie.)

Banned
    There is a computer shop down the way from me that sells serial mouses for $2. or so. You do not have a repair shop or computer surplus you can pick a serial mouse from? They may even trade you for your PS/2 as they could sell a PS/2 faster than a serial...