Thread: Remote Access On Win XP Pro Corporated edition

Question Remote Access On Win XP Pro Corporated edition

Im fixin to go on vacation and wish to have access to my pc without having to leave it logged into my isp for 8 full days (security reasons). However, I would like to be able to ring up my home phone and connect to the comp through the modem. Is there a good freeware prog, or do i have to use the Remote Access Software that comes with XP. Also, I am unsure how to go about configuring the pc to accept my modem calls. Also, what security issues will I run into trying to do this? Any help would be truly apreciated. Thanks in advance.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Security wise youll want to watch out for war-diallers. They are old skool but still used

How do i protect against war dialers? I found out how to set up the comp to receive incoming calls, and it is password protected with 7 alphanumeric characters. Is there anything else I can do?
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    i dunno i know htat u can set up hyper terminal to wait for incoming calls the bad thing is that any phone call like relatives or friends that call get a modem on the other side
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Ok, i found a way to set it up (through the wizard) and i have it set up. Now, when i dial in, I can connect, with username and password, however, I cannot access the information i need. I was able to set this up here at work last night and found out that in order to connect, you have to be logged into the remote pc as the user that you are trying to connect as. ie. If username is joeblow with password excaliber, then you have to be logged into the remote pc with the name joeblow and the sambe password, excaliber. However, as I am logged in that way, I cannot access my shared drives. My comp says that the network resource is not available. I plan to write a tutorial on this, but I am having a few problems with the access. As far as security goes, If the password is not correct, then you are immediately disconnected. Therefore, brute force would take forever, especially if you use a "good" password. War dialers would not really work well either as even if they do find my modem, it answers after the 3rd ring, the password is very tough to bruteforce. Does anyone have any ideas as how to "see" the shared resources?

May be special permissions for accessing remotly Look for a remote connection group or alike and make sure they have the needed permissions