I am not sure if these licenses are already use in other, more 'up to date' states, but Kentucky has recently started to issue driver licenses that contain a barcode on the back of the card. The bar code supposedly contains your basic data, your social security number, and relevant insurance information.
--
Police are supposed to be able to scan the back of this license with a laser reader (much like a grocery store check out gun) and check for insurance and any outstanding warrants, etc, etc..
--

The problem I have with this is that from what I have been hearing on the streets, police are too heavily reliant on this new technology (required on all new licenses by KY state law), and simply scan the back of a card and use that information.

I ask... how long before this bar code scheme using inherently weak encryption is cracked and you are able to completely change your identity by printing out a new card on your PC (using available hardware/software that umm, i know about)

My concern is that this technology is being relied on and offers a false sense of security.

comments? -or anyone with more information on this topic? -

thnx