utility software
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: utility software

utility software

I'm planning sometime in the future to buy some utility software for my system, so if you don't mind, please post what you think is the best utility software FOR WINDOWS. By utility software I mean things like antivirus, firewall, cleanup, compression, tweaking, etc.

thank you for any help
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

TechieChick
    Kezil..way to vague to be of use.
    Utility software?? There are a ton, why don't you check past threads etc? There are enough firewall, AV discussions etc to keep you occupied for days without dredging up one more bandwidth wasting thread.

Most of what you are looking for is in previous threads, but here goes anyhow:

AV: http://www.kaspersky.com/
    FW: get a 486, install *nix, or if you need software, ZA is pretty good.
    Compression: YARC and WinRAR
    Tweaking: Come on now, you should know about TweakUI, or do the tweaks yerself: http://www.onecomputerguy.com/

Do check out other threads, you'll have more than you can handle.

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

How about Nortan Systemworks, that has a bunch of usefull tools.
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

sorry, I'm only half awake at the moment and forgot to check previous threads *bows and scrapes pleading for forgiveness*

as for vagueness, I'm not looking for anything specific beyond what I stated
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

System works will give you most of the stuff you specified, the only downfall is that i beleive there is a yearly cost for its services.
    Mafia = Organized Crime
    Government = Unorganized Crime

If you after a good firewall I suggest Zonealarm 3.0 pro, it costs a bit to register, but it is very powerful and very good if you are using P2P systems like Kaaza, in fact I would'nt even log on Kaaza or the like without a firewall. You can get a free 30 day version from www.zonelabs.com
    Also for Virus checker I use Mcafee 6.0 it is a good virus checker, and I get on ok with it, I have'nt ever tried other ones thought, but I have heard that Norton is pretty good
    My advice would be to download a few different firewalls and checkers and so on, and try them out and see which one you like the most, It is really down to what you like.
    Anyway good luck with the search!

Banned
    Here is a good list of stuff so you can never ask this again
    Compression: Winace is best, it supports all compression file types that I know off
    AV: Norton AV is among the best as they keep their updates very current and you get 600 days of free updates
    Firewall: Tiny will do a good job without cluttering your computer, it is small and configurable, ZA is heavier on resources and is less configurable so I don't reccomend it
    Cleanup: Norton Cleansweep is an amazing program, it will keep track on installs and will make for very good uninstalls, it does all kinds of things, duplicate files, registry cleaner etc.
    Tweaking: Rambooster is nice, winsetting is also pretty good to use. I also like winboost.
    For all you needs goto download.com and check out the reviews.

Banned
    Download.com will be unavailable from the evening of Friday, July 5, through Sunday, July 7, as we switch to a new server hosting facility. The site will be back online Monday, July 8.
    Thank you for your patience.

Banned
    Well I just logged onto it today and downloaded some software today. Your warning seems to have expired. Go there yourself.