Netgear HUB

Thread: Netgear HUB

Banned

Question Netgear HUB

I have a question for all those who are knowledgable in networking. Here's the case:
    2 computers.
    1 IP that is a DNS using DSL.
    1 Netgear HUB.
    2 CAT 5 cables.
    Windows 2000

Problem is that it can't connect for some reason. A lot of suggestions will help. TY in advance.

A hub will not forward one IP address to the two different machines. W/ this arrangement, you would be just as well to do to 1) purchase a second IP address from your ISP and assign one IP to each of the computers or 2) get a second NIC for one of the machines and set up Internet Connection Sharing, or 3) Get a router instead of the hub. Routers should take the IP you have and run NAT. It should then be able to serve DHCP 192.168.xxx.xxx IP's to your PC's behind it thusly allowing the two machines to work on 1 IP with some ease.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Originally posted here by chefer
    A hub will not forward one IP address to the two different machines. W/ this arrangement, you would be just as well to do to 1) purchase a second IP address from your ISP and assign one IP to each of the computers or 2) get a second NIC for one of the machines and set up Internet Connection Sharing, or 3) Get a router instead of the hub. Routers should take the IP you have and run NAT. It should then be able to serve DHCP 192.168.xxx.xxx IP's to your PC's behind it thusly allowing the two machines to work on 1 IP with some ease.
    Yup. I would agree with all the above. Hubs and Switches are not routable -- that is, they cannot bridge two seperate networks. With today's "Internet Routers", the easiest option (and often the most secure) is the NAT server with optional firewall. Good luck!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

The Iceman Cometh
    If you hook up the DSL modem to the hub (using either a straight-through patch cable or a crossover cable, depending on the configuration), you should be able to get on the Internet with one computer at a time as long as it does not require PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet), which many DSL carriers require. Also, if you disconnect the DSL modem, at least the two computers will be able to talk to one another for file and print sharing, if you require that, but not as long as one of the computers is working with the DSL. I'm not completely sure on the DSL/hub bit, but, in theory, it should work. I would agree, though, to either purchase a router (with firewall, if possible) or buy a second $10-20 NIC for one of the computers, and set up ICS and File/Print Sharing (only if you need it, though).

AJ

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just out of pure curiosity, what's the model on the NetGear hub?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    Model#- EN 104

That's the same thing the person on tech. support told me. There are parameters though:
    Just using a HUB.
    There are other possible ways to make it work.
    Software firewalls.
    Every piece of security is software and with Windows 2000, patching is going to be a prob.
    I'll get back to the rest of you guys when other possible problems arise. Thx for all your help. You do open up certain options.

The HUB is USB and not stand-alone like cable modems.

The Iceman Cometh
    USB? How can it be USB? I looked up the EN104 model, and it is clearly Cat-5 (find it here). I don't see what the problem would be hooking up the DSL modem would be, unless, of course, it requires the PPPoE protocol. Honestly, though, you'll get the best results buying a second NIC and installing it onto one of the machines, then just connecting the DSL modem to one NIC, and the other to the hub. Also plug the other computer into the hub, and set up ICS on both of the computers (using the one with the DSL modem as the server). It should work fine that way.

AJ

Banned
    I made a mistake on that. The Alcatel modem is USB not the HUB. I don't know if it requires PPPoE, but the ADSL uses it (afterall it is SBC). Thats what I know also. But I really don't know if that is going to help if the modem is USB and i can't put it into another NIC. I'm switching to covad next year. Can anybody tell me if the modem is good or not?