did the punishment fit the crime

Thread: did the punishment fit the crime

Angry did the punishment fit the crime

This has nothing to do with security or computers and I apologize for that but this story made me so sick, I had to pass it along.
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html

Police said a tribal council ordered the rape as punishment for the victim's family after her 11-year-old brother was seen walking unchaperoned with a girl from a tribe considered higher-caste.
    It gets worse as you read on.....http://asia.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiap....ap/index.html
    For two nervous hours, the teenager worried for her 11-year-old brother as their father pleaded before a Pakistani tribal council that the boy had done no wrong in walking unchaperoned with a girl from a different tribe.

The council was unconvinced, and ordered a brutal punishment: The boy's sister would be gang-raped to shame her whole family.

Shortly afterward, four members of the council took turns raping the 18-year-old sister in a mud hut as hundreds of people stood outside laughing and cheering.
    I would definately say the punishment did not fit the crime, nor did it make sense for the girl to be humiliated and degraged that way. With people cheering them on no less.

I think the 4 men should be strung up by their balls!

Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

--------------------------------------
    Police say the tribal verdict was illegal, and that they have detained eight relatives of the suspects to pressure the perpetrators into surrendering.
    --------------------------------------

This is how they stop human right violations? it would be justice (albeit a little harsh) if they turned the perverts over to the girl and her family when they're caught, but arrest the relatives?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    This is kind of an old story. And also, members of the jury/tribal court that convicted the girl were arrested. Yea, its a pretty bad story. And that punsishment jus' makes no damn sense. But the government of pakistan has less authority over that are, so they probably are less concerned/aware of what goes on out there.

This _really_ pisses me off man... if there's one thing that makes me mad more than almost anything else, it's the thought of a girl getting raped. *sickened and pissed*

Banned
    Yup, same here jehnx. I think rape is one o' the worst things that can be done to another person, especially to somebody that is 18, not even very old. I kinda feel like that guy in Con Air where he is a murderer but hates the rapist even more. I think that accurately describes my feelings if you have ever seen Con Air, and if you haven't, don't bother, it isn't good.

-----------------
    And that punsishment jus' makes no damn sense
    -----------------

heres the sense it makes, the tribal "learder" are a bunch of damme peds and should be hunted down and killed. the good part of the laws in that part of the world is the executions may be carried out buy the family.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I think rape is not only cruel but also inhuman. Nobody should ever have to deal with rape, let alone because of tribal affairs. This disgusts me and pisses me off to see somebody be raped because of social class. It isnt even as bad where I live here in Coney Island.

IMO the act itself is inexcusable (not the unchaperonedt thing) but the values on things like class-status etc. can be somewhat alien to the US mentality. However, it sounds to me like a small dysfunctional oligarchy in an isolated population. AFAIK it's not even backed up with true precedents or rules of religion or tradition.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

ohh man .. but this is not that surprising .. as this kind of acts are not uncommon in pakistan as these people make their own rules and then give the name of a religion.....
    A laptop, internet connection and beer.