Download Tagging?

Thread: Download Tagging?

Download Tagging?

I'm not sure how easy this would be, but as a newbie to this site I would like to have some way to identify those downloads which contain an active virus/trojan/worm and those which are 'legitimate' programs. Many of the downloads have no description as to what they are or what they do - just their name. Possibly an asterisk in the description field, a Skull and Crossbones, a HazMat sign or . . . . As an example, I was searching for programs/information on anonymising and ended up downloading a program with an active virus - which my AV caught. Thanks for listening.
    . . . vvirtho
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

hmm Im sure JP tries to make sure there are descriptions for each file but i suppose sometimes its hard to get one.

Explained thousand times already: The files contain no viruses because they themselves ARE viruses or TROJANS that your AV counts as viruses.
    Reviewing and commenting all files would also be a huge job, there would be no volunteers for it.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

redgore -
    Maybe I was just lucky(?) in my searches but there were only about 2 or 3 descriptions out of the 20-30 files I looked at.

ZeroOne -
    Okay - so maybe I didn't word it correctly, sorry about that . . . The fact remains some will set off the AV some won't. My point was that if someone were to go by the file name alone, there is no way to tell which is which. I realise that reviewing all the files would be a huge job, which was why I said I didn't know how easy it would be. I probably should have said "I know it won't be easy!". I would volunteer to download a portion of the files and review them for description and tagging purposes. Maybe other members would offer a little of their time as well? Anyone else game?
    . . . V
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I guess run them through a (few) good virii/trojan scanners. If it doesn't detect them, bleh. I don't like running binaries I get from people like "The 1337 H4xor1ng squad" though. I'll only run it if it comes in the form of source code.