You Will Obey!!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You Will Obey!!!

You Will Obey!!!

Turner Broadcasting System CEO Jaimie Kellner, who asserted that television viewers who skipped commercials using their digital video recorders were guilty of "stealing" broadcast content. Kellner told an industry trade press reporter that "Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots."
    http://www.technologyreview.com/arti...kins070302.asp

Maybe it's time to lynch a few TV executives.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

by "skipping the comercials" do you refer to fast-forwarding past them so that you don't have to watch them?

it's a good point. P
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Hi mom!
    Gawd. From which mental institution did he escape?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Not long ago, I heard about a company in the UK that was actually inserting advertising broadcasts (half-hour commercials and such) into the machines of those who subscribe to TiVo and other such services, whether requested or not...(NOT seems more likely )
    Welcome to the world of Adware, TiVo...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/25436.html

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Guess it's time to outlaw VCRs, too - HOW long have these things been out? About 25 years or more?

<edit>
    Not long ago, I heard about a company in the UK that was actually inserting advertising broadcasts (half-hour commercials and such) into the machines of those who subscribe to TiVo and other such services, whether requested or not...(NOT seems more likely )
    Welcome to the world of Adware, TiVo...
    Yeah, TiVo does that already, but supposively won't erase or not record anything you've previously asked it to record. Figured all that valuable marketing/demographic info had to go towards something.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

One wonders whether it isn't time for television viewers to form a union, demand that people like Kellner sit down at the negotiating table, and cut a better deal with us, if they continue to expect viewer loyalty
    I usually go to the toilet when the ads come on... even if I don't need to.

Originally posted here by jethro
    I usually go to the toilet when the ads come on... even if I don't need to.
    THEIF!!! I now declare toilets illegal under the DMCA as they give you something to do and as such facilitate your theft of the show you are watching!
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

I love it. Users are now circumventing the technology to add ads to everything faster than they can come up with them, and they're getting pissed! Faster! Faster! Drive the ad exec's insane!!!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

<quote>Turner Broadcasting System CEO Jaimie Kellner, who asserted that television viewers who skipped commercials using their digital video recorders were guilty of "stealing" broadcast content. Kellner told an industry trade press reporter that "Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots."<quote>

Contract? I don't remember signing any contract. Advertising is getting more and more ridiculuous.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Just one more reason to hate the boob tube, aka the idiot box. I watched a show on discovery the other day, it was the first time in nearly 12 years or so that I had watched TV. I saw the "Dell Dude." God I hate that F$%#ing TV. If that's the kind of crap you all deal with all the time, I say never again, at least as long as my hands are able to control the remote.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"