Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS Service?

DNS Service?

Ok my gosh darn father wants to setup a website. He's running his own server, apache2 on windows2000 it's a pretty nice setup. He's using a cable modem so the bandwith isn't bad but it's not great. He found this website www.000domains.com that is dirt cheap somthin he said like 13.00 for a domain name. Now what exactly does have to do for DNS. Since www.000domains.com doesn't have there own dns service. Can he setup his own dns server. If it would be easier and quicker to find a service does anyone know of any that is just dns hosting? Not to expensive but reasonable.
    Good Grief

Well I was just wondering if he wanted not to go use a service how might he do it. And if he does use a service can anyone recomend one. I guess that's what I'm really asking.
    Good Grief

str34m3r
    I use www.dyndns.org. Some of their services are free, but if you want DNS for your own domain, they require a $30 "donation." It really is a good deal if you check out some of your other options.

DNS resolves an IP addy to a name what ever it is. In order for your father to set up a server he would need to inform the ISP (cable provider). If this is a business and he has a business account there would be little problems. If he wishes to avoid the ISP (I do not reccomend this at all). DNS is just a cross over record from a name to a number and from the ISP to main DNS servers on the web the data must match, and then for email again the MX record must match. Domain names are not expensive now and well if it is just DNS and MX records another would be Avid Hosting, thre are thousands of ISP providers want a simple domain even more and the price sounds about right.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

If you/he choose to go it alone and not find a dns service provider then you could try this,

Acquire a 2nd IP from your ISP (probably ~$5 month for the extra IP addy);
    Add a 2nd NIC to the www box (use the 2nd IP on this NIC);
    Make sure your original NIC has a fixed IP;
    Install DNS on that box (MS-DNS under Win2K is pretty straight forward and there are several other options BIND etc);
    List the 2 IP addresses as NS records with the registrar (most require 2 but you might get away with only 1);
    Configure DNS entries and host away;
    Add a mail server and your pretty much set

If you do this and you change ISP's be aware that you will have to update the host (NS) record(s) of the DNS server and might have to update the individual IP's of all websites hosted on that box (depends on registrar).

Good luck.

Cable is ok, but I say, if you're running a server (and want a permanent connection fairly cheap), go with DSL. It depends on your area, but DSL might be slightly higher or lower than cable, but DSL definately has a better upload speed (good for servers). The only thing: Whatever ISP you choose, you have to make sure they allow you to run web servers. If they don't, most likely port 80 will be blocked, and people won't be able to get to your website.

I'm using directvinternet.com (Directv DSL) and I'm running a web server, and I'm very happy.

BTW I use ods.org (open domain server) for my website. It's free, and you get yourname.ods.org (or a couple other extentions to pick from), you type in your (static) IP, and you're good to go.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Palemoon, I believe she needs a service to provide a conduit from the domain to her IP. Thus the service, what ISPs provide is something that keeps tabs on the domains and lets you know their IP. She is looking for a service that will have registered her domain to her IP. You are talking about how a user finds the IP of a server, which is want she wants to ultimately to happen, but in order for that to happen, she needs to first set it up so that that domain points all those ISP servers to her IP addy.

Well yanksfan I'm sure he's not supposed to be running a webserver. But he is. He's gonna do what he wants. He called me up and told me to remember www.domaincow.com they have free dns service. He didn't have to do anything with his ISP. So I thought I would all tell yeah he sounds jazzed about it. He still has to wait for everything to update but he's on the right track. Thanks guys.
    Good Grief

Hey july, you shoulda signed up with namedemo or namezero a year ago, everything was free, and though they have now become pay services they still support their free customers. Perhaps you could find somebody with one and haggle with them for the domain. Namedemo/Namezero provide all ther services. Thats how I got my domain and I have had it for over a year and a half.

i would determine the type of dns service you need and go from there. you stated you are using cable which is typically a dhcp assignment (most times you'll receive and renew the same address - BUT not always) if that's the case then you will want to go with a dynamic dns service (there have been a few mentioned here) - this is great if you are needed to make updates but has the adverse effect of outdated dns cache. if you can verify that you are receiving a static ip, then there are straight dns services online as well. a search on google for:
    "dns provider" +free

just brought up ~1400 entries (for both dns and ddns). research the most often mentioned names and select the best option for you - some of these require you to register the name through them, however.
    -droby10