View Poll Results: What political party do you support the most?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Democratic

1 7.14%
  • Republican

4 28.57%
  • Third Party

9 64.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Your Neighbor!

Kill Your Neighbor!

Kill Your Neighbor

Heh, no I don't mean literally go kill you neighbor. This is what the US Navy called it back in the 80s. A group of students would try to hack each other's neighbor's password. I think this would be a good game for AO, but with certain rules and guide lines. It would be a good learning experience and a chance for users to test the security of their passwords. This could be a site feature or in AO's toys and games section. A user or group should be required to have the other users permission before attempting to "Kill your neighbor". It should also be required to inform them if their password has been cracked, the method used, and how to prevent their password from being cracked/hacked in the future. Their may be other rules and guide lines that should be in place, but I think it's a good idea.. Just food for thought.

Remote_Access_

dont worry im on medication too , anyway i think the game is great for informational purpouses and this may be pushing it but maybe we could post how they got cracked and how to protect on a page and people who didnt play the game could still use it to their advantage, to protect their passwords
    cheers RA

-Jan

I'm not too sure. It would [most likely] turn out into some god-forsaken war amoungst a few self-titled "teams". And for those who really have come here for help, what ever shall they do? I'm not sure writting tutorials on how to "hack your neighbor" is such a good idea. For somebody may simply read the tutorial, and go use it to try and hack their physical neighbor, get arrested, blame us for writting the tutorial, and hell would soon engulf AnitOnline.

Rules would be useless if your a blackhatted hacker guru anyhow...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

I agree with [WebCarnage], in principal it seems like a fun idea but then, it's a lot of trust involved; and a lot of endorsing hacking articles, which would encourage skript kiddies. it would be necessary to regulate participators in some way, maybe if it were restricted to high-ranking members or something, as some indicator of integrity!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Or you could go pseudo-hack-your-neighbor. Instead of trying to get the real one, everyone has a secondary for the purposes of the game. And in order to be able to hack someone's password, they would have to give you a special key, registered with the AO system as only usable by the one person it's given too, a different one for each person, to avoid key sharing.
    hmm...and perhaps a person can also set the type of password login for the designated hackers to bypass, or something like that.
    You know, this is sounding more and more like it should be a mini game in the AO wargame.
    Just my thoughts.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Your too late, once I read the thread name, I killed my neighbor. J.K of course. I think it is an awesome idea. I do agree with Kezil's secondary password idea as well.

Yeah but it would just be a brute force attack, people would write brute force scripts, (or I probably would ) and then the game would be won. And if people didn't write them the game would take years.

Unless there were a (purposeful) flaw in the system, and the only way to truly win was to exploit the flaw, not brute force it.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

The participants should be willing to play. You can't just go around trying to hack everyone's password just cause you want to play the game. Such attempts should result in being banned. A certain amount of antipoints and posts should be required in order to prevent people from abusing the game.
    Instead of trying to get the real one, everyone has a secondary for the purposes of the game. And in order to be able to hack someone's password, they would have to give you a special key, registered with the AO system as only usable by the one person it's given too, a different one for each person, to avoid key sharing.
    hmm...and perhaps a person can also set the type of password login for the designated hackers to bypass, or something like that.
    I think that's a good idea. I second this motion. The purpose of the game isn't to encourage black hats and script kiddies. It's for informative purposes... To prevent black hats and script kiddies from hacking your other passwords you should know how weak/strong your password is. Another alternative would be to have a bot test the strength of your password and tell you the problems with it. Like not enough charaters.. Not using non-standard symbols when you can.. Not using numbers.. etc. etc. etc.

Heh heh, I'm for it, lol, I just joined here and I think that is awesome. I can definatley see what the 'other' group is talking about though. I mean, I can see how that would contribute to someone's knowledge about comp. security, but it could potentially lead to some groups banning together and tryin' to hack one person' pw at a time. . .wouldn't be too hard then.

I do have a question though. . .are you saying let's hack everyone's password on AO?? Wouldn't that place a bit of a strain on JP?? I think your idea is really good! I'm all for it, but maybe we should make it more of an mutually agreeable game. . .you know, we trade IP's with someone we wanna play with. Let them get into our systems?? I've read a bunch of posts here and a lot of people have linux, a linux system is fun to play around on, even if it is a home comp.. you can see how many services people have left running. . .the same goes for windows struff, specially XP and the simple service discovery protocol.

Maybe JP could put a seperate page with a disclaimer and a "I agree to the terms set forth. . .", that way any 'heat' would only be on the players. . ., I dunno, your idea is a really, really good one though. . .I just wouldn't want to mess around with another server that's got their stuff together. that's no fun. . .nothing to play with . .awesome idea though. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.