Credit Card Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credit Card Question

Question Credit Card Question

Is it possible that when a bad hacker gets my credit card no. he/she is able to find out other information about me like my name, address etc... If so how do they do it?

First of all, I will show you how, first give me your credit card number..........

Nowadays, you get any information on anybody from a license plate to hospital records. If it is recorded somewhere, its obtainable.......

yeah it is possible... cause that number is in a database that also contains name, address, phone number, b-day, ssn, mother's maiden name.
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Yes. It's called "enumeration" and, if someone's able to target you and get a "protected" piece of info like a credit card number, you can bet they have things such as your name, address, phone number, and probably even your SSN or mother's maiden name or place of birth.

There are plenty of ways to obtain things like that, one of the most common (and most well known) is social engineering - and it's a lot easier than people might think. Basically, I think it's human nature to want to help people. And, furthermore, it's easier to believe that someone wants to help us. So, imagine someone calling you with said number, simply asking you simple information so as to "confirm your identity and help 'fix' a problem with your account" - they only need blah-blah-blah to do it. Would you answer them? Probably. Should you answer them. Well, maybe, maybe not... can you confirm who these people are over the phone? I doubt it, considering most of these bonehead credit card companies even block caller ID (else you'd know that the same company was calling you when they wanted to know when you were going to give them their freakin' money and probably wouldn't answer the phone when they wanted to talk to you about it).

So, what do we learn here? Well, the phone isn't a very secure or reliable place to do business. If you get a call trying to "confirm" some info, chances are you're going to want to call them back (so as to "confirm" identity) - and don't just take their direct dial number (though that's definitely a lead should it become becessary later); call in through a switch board and ask for the person by name (and yeah, even that's not completely reliable).
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

wow thanks guys....i think i'm gonna do a search on google about credit card sercurity issues

I did a little digging up on this issue and here's what I found, hope it helps.

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/1337.html
    Viper

thnks dude

Try checking your card number on-line http://www.cardcops.com also they do not save any info you enter and it is a secure site.

A good rule of thumb I have always used never give out personal information about yourself if someone contacts you. Only give out info if you know who you are dealing with, they call you ask for a cal back number then check that number out.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

thanks for your advice, i'll keep that in mind

Yes, definitely, they have info if they have ya CC. If they're a good "hax0r," they'll get in and download the entire informatin "sheet" on you. This thing here has your name, address, email address you regged with the site with, your PW on the site, and _much_ more information. The PW on the site thing being captured is why I urge people to not use universal passwords, but rather change them for different sites/services. If you have any more questions on CC security or anything I know a really lot about it now, so you can PM me or just ask on the board as you did this time.