Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suicide Threads

GreekGoddess
    I've come up with a plan layout from all of the suggestions...so listen up, this might help solve the problem with threads going on lately.

First of all, the problem of threads going suicidal does not always lie in the hands of one person, who posted a stupid question and got negged quite a bit for it. It can happen if two people (especially those with higher greenie/negative effects) goes through and negs each individual person in the thread, turning the overall thread status to extemely negative, if not suicidal.

Proposal 1. Back to the one person that can suicide your thread with a question that's completely off topic and people give that person negatives until your thread closes, even if your thread was relevant to begin with.

The thread may only be closed due to this person if he/she is the original author of the first post of the thread. That keeps threads that spawn: How do I Hack Hotmail? out of there.

Instead of usually suiciding the thread, the person who would have suicided it in the first places post looks similar to the Banned post, where you can no longer assign points, and it's automatically minimized, therefore reducing comments on it while keeping the topic of the thread open. They can no longer post to the thread, nor can they give any antipoints to the thread. They've pretty much lost their priviledges to the thread all together.

Their post may look something like this:

This person has been banned from "Thread Name", and as a result, all of their posts to this thread have been marked as Hidden. The user was banned from this topic for a reason, so this post may: promote illegal activities, contain flames, off topic content, and less-than-family-friendly language, among other things.

To view this post click [here]

Okay....so that takes care of the one person who can suicide your thread...now, what about the people who go through and neg everyone in the thread for no apparent reason.

Proposal 2. Antipoint limitations in threads. There are enough members of AO that you don't need to take it upon yourself to assign points to everyone in a thread, no matter how much you don't care for the topic, or you just don't like the people in it, feeling mean or whatever.
    You have a limit to the amount of negatives AND positives you can give out in one thread. This limits those hit and run neggers to only getting to a couple of posts, but most likely won't throw the thread into suicidal, because there's plenty of people on AO that will eventually get to your post and give you some greenies if they feel that you've been unbalanced for no reason...That's where the community aspect comes in, with a little implementation behind it.

If people have a thread that's going suicidal, then you know it's just not a couple of people that want your thread gone. It's apparent that there are quite a few people, and that seems more fair, IMO.

What do you guys think?

Sidenote: Vorlin, I know people don't have to put in reasons and I know that greys don't count, I just posted those points to show xmaddness that someone was going through all the posts and hitting them with negs to try and close the thread, because it seemed like I was being skipped, when in fact, they just didn't effect me much...

And about the guys sucking up...I've noticed it quite a bit...I get a lot of greenies for being a girl...I get negatives from the skeptics that say I'm really a guy...hahahaha
    I don't want to be treated differently because I'm female. I think that once the surprise wears off that more and more females are coming to AO, they'll get used to the idea.
    : )

And about the guys sucking up...I've noticed it quite a bit...I get a lot of greenies for being a girl...I get negatives from the skeptics that say I'm really a guy...hahahaha
    I don't want to be treated differently because I'm female. I think that once the surprise wears off that more and more females are coming to AO, they'll get used to the idea.
    So it shall be added to the AntiPoint algos that if positive points were assigned to females they count only half of the normal!
    Or we could also have a button "No thanks, I don't think I deserved these greenies." which would return the AP's to the sender (or something).

You have a limit to the amount of negatives AND positives you can give out in one thread.
    Yeah, I'm for this idea.

I still say that the algos should count the number of negative posts in a thread and not kill it if there was only one negative post, no matter how extremely negative it was (except if it was the post that started the thread). Banning the author from that thread might be a good idea.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to this thread again.

How does that look like? Should appear if ap's were given to two (or mayber depending on the number of posts in the thread) posts. Additionally it could just start to decrease the value of the antipoints given until they're "spread around".
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25